PRTG Manual: Desktop Notifications
While you are logged in to the PRTG web interface with your Chrome or Firefox browser, PRTG can show notifications on your desktop whenever there are new alarms in your monitoring.
PRTG will show desktop notifications (by default, in the lower right corner of your desktop) whenever there are new alarms after a page refresh in the PRTG web interface. The notification displays the number of new alarms and the current number of each sensor status.
Example of a Chrome Desktop Notification
To enable desktop notifications in the PRTG web interface, choose Setup | Downloads | Desktop Notifications from the main menu bar. You have to initially allow the notifications for each installation/profile of Firefox or Google Chrome.
Desktop notifications are not available for Internet Explorer.
On the settings page, you see one of the following status messages.
Status: Click button below to enable Desktop Notifications
- Click the Enable Desktop Notifications button to add your PRTG URL to the list of allowed sites for desktop notifications in Chrome or Firefox.
- On top of your browser window a message appears, asking you to allow desktop notifications.
- In Chrome, click Allow to add the URL of the PRTG web interface to the allowed sites.
- In Firefox, click Always Receive Notifications to add the URL of the web interface to the allowed sites.
Click 'Allow' to enable Chrome Desktop Notifications
Click 'Always Receive Notifications' to enable Firefox Desktop Notifications
Status: Sorry, Desktop Notifications cannot be enabled or Unknown
- Desktop Notifications are explicitly blocked for the URL of the PRTG web interface in the browser options. See section Disabling or Re-Enabling Desktop Notifications below.
Status: Desktop Notifications enabled
- Desktop Notifications are successfully activated. To disable them, see Disabling or Re-Enabling Desktop Notifications below.
To disallow or re-allow desktop notifications for the PRTG web interface, edit your browser options:
- In Google Chrome: Click the View site information symbol in the address bar of the browser. You can block or re-allow notifications for the current URL in section Notifications.
- In Firefox: In the PRTG web interface, hold the Shift key and right-click to open the browser's context menu. Click View Page Info and select the Permissions tab. In section Notifications, select the desired option for the PRTG website, for example, block desktop notifications or enable them again.