PRTG Manual: Key Features
PRTG Network Monitor follows and analyzes your network and requires no third-party software. You can download and install PRTG on premises, or you create a PRTG hosted by Paessler instance. The setup of PRTG includes a first automatic configuration. Smart Setup, the built-in interactive guidance dialog, leads you through the whole process.
What is PRTG for?
- Monitoring and alerting you about uptimes and downtimes or slow servers
- System health monitoring of your various hardware devices
- Network device monitoring and bandwidth accounting
- Application monitoring
- Monitoring virtual servers
- Service level agreement (SLA) monitoring
- System usage monitoring (for example, CPU load, free memory, or free disk space)
- Database performance and table values monitoring
- Email server monitoring and reviewing various backup solutions
- Monitoring your network's physical environment
- Classifying network traffic by source or destination, as well as content
- Discovering unusual, suspicious, or malicious activity with devices or users
- Measuring Quality of Service (QoS) and Voice over IP (VoIP) parameters
- Cloud monitoring services
- Discovering and evaluating network devices
- Collecting system information for various hardware types
- Finding unexpected relationships between your network components to detect potential security issues and assessing the real usage of your network and hardware
- Fail-safe monitoring using a failover cluster setup
What is Included in PRTG?
The PRTG on premises installer or a PRTG hosted by Paessler instance contains everything that is necessary to immediately run your monitoring system.
- High performance: The database system stores raw monitoring results as well as logs, Toplists, and tickets. This outperforms Structured Query Language (SQL) servers for monitoring data. You can distribute high loads among multiple probes. You can also access the database through the application programming interface (API).
- Low system requirements: For PRTG on premises, an average PC that is not older than 2 years is sufficient, and a netbook can also monitor over a thousand sensors. PRTG hosted by Paessler requires no hardware for the PRTG core server.
For more information, see section System Requirements.
- High security standards: Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption for connections and web servers, a personalized user rights management, and much more.
- An SSL-secured web server with HTTP and HTTPS support for the user interface.
- A fast web interface that works as a Single Page Application (SPA) to avoid time-intensive page reloading.
- An email relay server for automatic email delivery.
- Customizable, personalized alerting:
- Various notification technologies, for example, email, push, SMS text messages, Syslog messages and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) traps, HTTP requests, event logs, Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS), executing scripts.
- Multiple triggers, for example, status alerts, limit alerts, threshold alerts, multiple condition alerts, escalation alerts.
- Gradual dependencies to avoid alarm floods, acknowledging certain alarms to avoid further notifications for this alarm, and alert scheduling.
- In-depth report generator to create reports on demand or scheduled reports in HTML, as .pdf file, .csv or .xml data files. Several report templates are available by default.
- Graphics engine for user-friendly live graphs and historic data graphs.
- Network analysis modules to automatically discover network devices and sensors.
- Distributed monitoring to monitor several networks in different locations.
- Special features for managed service providers (MSP) to monitor customer networks and increase the quality of service.
- Data publishing with real-time map dashboards—private and public—including live performance and status information. You can design these maps as you like using many different objects and integrate external objects as well.
- Multiple languages such as English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Japanese, Russian, and Simplified Chinese.
- Customization: The PRTG API lets you develop your own features. Additionally, you can create custom sensors, notifications, and device templates according to your specific requirements.
PRTG Network Monitor supports monitoring up to several thousand sensors per installation, depending on various parameters. It can optionally work with multiple remote probes to monitor multiple sites or network segments from one central core installation, and to distribute high monitoring loads. You can also configure fail-safe monitoring using a cluster installation to perform automatic failovers. Single failover installations are allowed with every PRTG license.
PRTG Network Monitor offers two options to monitor your network: PRTG on premises and PRTG hosted by Paessler. With PRTG on premises, the core server and local probe run within your network. PRTG hosted by Paessler is the PRTG cloud solution, where we at Paessler run the core server and hosted probe for you. The PRTG web interface for monitoring configuration and reviewing monitoring data is the same for both PRTG hosted by Paessler and PRTG on premises.
- Welcome to PRTG Network Monitor
- About this Document
- Key Features
- New in This Version
- Available Licenses
- System Requirements
- Detailed System Requirements
- Introduction: Monitoring with PRTG