PRTG Manual: Update from Previous Versions
If you have a previous PRTG version installed, there are several things you need to consider before you update to the newest PRTG version. See also the system requirements for all requirements.
While in most cases, your monitoring data and configuration are maintained when you update PRTG, we still recommend that you have a backup of both. For more information, see the Knowledge Base: How do I back up all data and configuration of my PRTG installation?
In certain cases, antivirus software like Windows Defender interferes with the PRTG installer. This might cause high CPU load on the PRTG core server, which might prevent an update. Temporarily disable Windows Defender and other antivirus software if you have issues when you install PRTG updates.
On PRTG Hosted Monitor instances, updates are managed automatically, so you do not need to do them manually.
In this section:
As of PRTG 22.2.77, PRTG is signed with renewed certificates. To seamlessly update to any version as of PRTG 22.2.77, an intermediate update is required for the PRTG core server and all probes if you run a version previous to PRTG 22.1.75. If you auto-update from previous versions (lower than PRTG 22.1.75), PRTG automatically installs an intermediate version first. The intermediate version you receive via auto-update or from the Paessler support team is PRTG 184.108.40.2064. You must perform an additional auto-update to install the newest version. PRTG notifies you with a ticket about this. Your configuration is kept.
We recommend that you use the auto-update to install the newest PRTG version.
Update from PRTG 16.1.22 or later
If you run any version as of PRTG 16.1.22 or later, install the newest version on top of the previous version. Your configuration is kept. PRTG automatically updates remote probes as well. If you have configured PRTG as a failover cluster, you only need to install an update on any cluster node (master node or failover node). PRTG automatically deploys the new version to the cluster.
We recommend that you use the auto-update to install the newest version. Always make sure that you have a proper backup of your monitoring data.
- PRTG 19.3.52: PRTG does not run on Windows XP anymore. Make sure that you install PRTG on an officially supported operating system.
- PRTG 19.1.48: Sensors that require the .NET framework need .NET 4.7.2 or later. For more information, see the Knowledge Base: Which .NET version does PRTG require?
- PRTG 18.3.43: PRTG does not run on Windows Server 2003 R2 anymore. Make sure that you install PRTG on an officially supported operating system.
- PRTG 17.3.34: This version comes with a completely rewritten PRTG web interface. If you have customized the PRTG web interface with one of the dedicated files in a previous version, all your customizations are lost as soon as you install PRTG 17.3.34. You must redo your changes to keep the customizations.
- PRTG 16.3.26: The Mobile Web GUI was removed from PRTG.
- PRTG 16.2.25: Several sensors were removed from PRTG.
Update from Older PRTG Products
For more information on updating from older PRTG versions, see the Knowledge Base: How do I update from older versions?
How do I back up all data and configuration of my PRTG installation?
Which .NET version does PRTG require?
Why do I get an error message when trying to restart Windows Server 2019 after a PRTG update?
How do I update from older versions?