PRTG Manual: Install a PRTG Core Server
Installing PRTG Network Monitor works like other Windows-based applications. To install PRTG, run the installation setup program from the .zip file that you downloaded.
- Confirm the question of the Windows User Account Control with Yes to allow PRTG to install. The installation dialog guides you through the installation process.
- Select a language for the installation and click OK. The available language options depend on both your Windows version and the setup file.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- Enter your email address to make sure you receive important system alerts and click Next.
- Select if you want to use the Express or the Custom installation mode and click Next. If you select the Express installation mode, you can directly proceed with step 9.
- This page is only visible if you use the Custom installation mode. You can change the paths to the PRTG program directory and PRTG data directory, if necessary. Click Next.
- This page is only visible if you use the Custom installation mode. Select if you want to run an auto-discovery of your network or if you want to skip the auto-discovery. Click Next.
- This page is only visible if you select Run auto-discovery. You can enter a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) community string. The default SNMP community string is public. Click Next.
- PRTG is installed on your system.
- Click Finish to complete the setup of PRTG.
In some cases, antivirus software like Windows Defender interferes with the PRTG installer. This might cause high CPU load on the PRTG core server, which might prevent a successful installation. Temporarily disable Windows Defender and other antivirus software in these cases.
PRTG validates your license information during the installation process by connecting to the activation server. If there are issues with the trial installation, PRTG asks you for your License Key and License Name. In this case, you are directed to our website.
Enter both License Key and License Name exactly as received from Paessler.
For more information, see section Enter a License Key.
If you think that you have correctly entered your license information but get a License Invalid message, contact [email protected].
You can find the label License Owner in some documents from the Paessler shop. License Owner is the same as License Name, for which you might be asked when you install PRTG or when you change your license key.
When you update a commercial version with a new trial installer, PRTG ignores the new trial license key.
I cannot open the PRTG web interface via the desktop shortcut anymore. What can I do?
How can I establish a secure web interface connection to PRTG?
PRTG blocks port 80 although I'm using SSL on port 443. How to free port 80?
Terms and conditions of Paessler AG