PRTG functions as a
free syslog server
Free syslog server for Windows
Capture and analyze syslog messages
Alerts in the event of syslog error messages and incidents
Know what you’re looking for?
- Setting up a free syslog server with PRTG
- Syslog server: PRTG captures and processes the following data
- Is PRTG the right tool for you? It depends...
- Got a few sensors left to spare? Set up some lightweight yet effective network monitoring
- Your new syslog server is up and running, but you want more? Convince your CTO with the following 3 reports
- By the way: PRTG is compatible with all the major manufacturers
Setting up a free syslog server with PRTG
Syslog is a standard for sending log messages within a network. It is supported by a variety of devices.
The syslog protocol provides a wide range of system info, thus syslog monitoring is an important part of network monitoring.
iWhat is a sensor?
In PRTG, “Sensors” are the basic monitoring elements. One sensor usually monitors one measured value in your network, e.g. the traffic of a switch port, the CPU load of a server, the free space of a disk drive. On average you need about 5-10 sensors per device or one sensor per switch port.
As network monitoring software, PRTG lets you capture and monitor syslog messages. To do so, simply create a centralized Syslog Receiver Sensor in PRTG. This sensor captures and analyzes the contents of all the messages that are sent to PRTG. If an error occurs or your threshold values are exceeded, you’ll be notified at once. PRTG thus acts as your syslog server.
Another possibility: first add each sender as a device, then install a Syslog Receiver Sensor in each of these new devices. With this option, you’ll put a lot less strain on your CPU. On the other hand, you’ll need more sensors for it to work. That means your 100 free sensors may not be enough for in-depth monitoring.
Video tutorial: Setting up a syslog server
PRTG captures and processes the following data
Upon receiving syslog messages, PRTG displays all relevant information with regard to the message, including the IP address from which the message was sent, the time of the message, and the message itself.
PRTG also analyzes the severity level to check for potential emergencies. This level ranges from “0” (emergency) to “7” (debug). PRTG even reads and processes the facility code. As a result, you can immediately identify the type of message that was sent.
i Syslog stands for System Logging Protocol and is a standard protocol used to send system log or event messages to a specific server, called a syslog server. It is primarily used to collect various device logs from several different machines in a central location for monitoring and review. The protocol is enabled on most network equipment such as routers, switches, firewalls, and even some printers and scanners. In addition, syslog is available on Unix and Linux based systems and many web servers including Apache.
Is PRTG the right tool for you?
You'd like to, but...
Many sysadmins would like to use a professional network monitoring tool but don’t have the budget to do so. Getting higher-ups to free up the necessary funds can be both time-consuming and stressful. Often it’s a whole lot easier just to use a free tool. PRTG makes this possible. It comes with 100 free sensors that never expire.
Scenario 2: Sometimes
a small tool does the trick
Other sysadmins are in charge of relatively small networks. For them, PRTG might be a bit too much. Nevertheless, these sysadmins may discover that the free version, which can function as a Windows syslog server while offering sensors to spare, is the perfect solution.
The home network
Ever sit at home in front of your computer and wonder how to set up a syslog server for your home network? You’re not alone. Many sysadmins also want reliable software for their homes. PRTG can be used as a syslog server for any network.
Free server monitoring or a license?
Server monitoring freeware
You’re welcome to try the full version of PRTG for 30 days for free. After the first month, you can continue to use 100 sensors for as long as you like. For each of your devices, you’ll need around 10 sensors. The 100 free sensors are yours to choose however you please. These sensors often suffice for setting up basic server monitoring. If you have a small network, then the free version may be all you ever need. What’s more, the alarm and reports features are included.
PRTG offers a variety of different licenses. Each of these licenses gives you access to a specific number of sensors. If you need more sensors, you can simply upgrade your license. Any existing monitoring will remain unchanged. Many sysadmins start out with the free trial version. This lets you get a feel for the monitoring tool with no strings attached.
Keep a constant eye on your network
– even while on the go
PRTG can be started within minutes and it's compatible with many mobile devices.
Got a few sensors left to spare?
Set up some lightweight yet effective network monitoring
How much traffic passes through your network? When and where do spikes in traffic occur? How does your traffic change over time? PRTG tells you all this and more. As a result, you can take all the necessary precautions to ensure your network is running at optimal capacity. More on bandwidth monitoring with PRTG.
Trusted by 300,000 users
and recognized by industry analysts as a leader
Your new syslog server is up and running, but you want more?
Convince your CTO with the following 3 reports
Is your network more up or down? This report is an absolute must, for whenever your network is down, productivity and sales suffer. More on uptime monitoring
PRTG monitors both open and closed ports. Port monitoring plays a vital role in ensuring malware (such as Trojans) does not infiltrate your network. Without monitoring software, it’s next to impossible to keep an eye on all your open ports.
Top 10 Talkers report
What’s going on with the traffic in your network? In particular, which departments are generating the most? To find out, simply pull up the PRTG Top 10 Talkers report. PRTG provides real-time updates on the goings-on of your network – and promptly notifies you in the event of sudden and drastic changes.
By the way: PRTG is compatible with all the
- Monitor Cisco devices: PRTG comes equipped with preconfigured sensors for Cisco devices. Use the IP SLA Sensor for VoIP applications, and the NetFlow and IPFIX sensors to monitor traffic. PRTG also captures the syslog files of Cisco devices. More on Cisco monitoring with PRTG
- Monitor HP devices: Do you use HP servers, switches, or printers? PRTG reliably monitors all your HP hardware by way of SNMP sensors (among others). More on HP monitoring with PRTG
- Monitor virtual environments: Hyper-V, VMware, Citrix...with PRTG, you get all the sensors you need to monitor your virtual environments. Above all, be sure to keep a close eye on your virtual servers.
Over 95% of our customers recommend PRTG
Paessler AG worldwide trialled PRTG in over 600 IT departments.
The aim was to tune the network monitoring software closer to the needs of the administrators.
The result of the survey: over 95% of the participants would recommend PRTG - or already had.
PAESSLER AG –
- Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days
- After 30 days, PRTG reverts to a free version
- Or, you can upgrade to a paid license anytime
Most administrators want to test a tool for free before deciding to make an investment.
The many advantages of PRTG:
1. Free trial version: Take the time to explore PRTG so you can determine if it satisfies your needs and meets your expectations. Once the trial is over, it’s easy to upgrade your already configured version of PRTG, which means you’re much less likely to make an incorrect purchase.
2. One tool, one overview: Administrators often use a variety of monitoring solutions for their network or for the individual components of their infrastructure. But using several different tools every time you want to create an overview costs time and energy. PRTG is an “all-in-one” solution. Our dashboard and app provide a comprehensive overview, whenever you want it.
3. Quick customer support: Got a question? Stuck on a problem and need a hand? PRTG is backed by a dedicated development and support team. We do our utmost to answer every customer inquiry within 24 hours (on business days). Browse all our support topics here.
Configure your PRTG today. The trial version is free of charge. Save time, worry, and money with our monitoring tool designed for your network and entire infrastructure.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 188.8.131.522 (October 20th, 2020)|
|Download for Windows and hosted version available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications