Use PRTG to Analyze Your Bandwidth Usage and Vital System Parameters
Large networks with a lot of devices are difficult to handle. Using an SNMP monitor such as Paessler's PRTG Network Monitor helps you to keep track of bandwidth usage and important system parameters and allows you to react to possible issues before they cause downtime.
The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is a well-known and popular protocol for network management. It is used for collecting information from and configuring network devices such as servers, printers, hubs, switches, and routers on an Internet Protocol (IP) network.
Using an SNMP monitor, you can monitor network performance, audit network usage, detect network faults, or inappropriate access. The PRTG SNMP monitor can communicate and interact with any SNMP-enabled device. The simple and intuitive SNMP monitor interface allows users to perform various functions with only a few mouse clicks.
Test the SNMP Monitor for Free
PRTG Network Monitor is the well known SNMP monitor by Paessler AG. You can easily set up an SNMP monitor with PRTG. Just download either the freeware or the fully functional 30 day trial of PRTG Network Monitor and you will have the first SNMP monitoring results within minutes.
Advantages of an SNMP Monitor
Understanding bandwidth and resource consumption is the key to better network management. An SNMP monitor helps to
- Avoid bandwidth and server performance bottlenecks
- Find out what applications or what servers are using up your bandwidth
- Deliver better quality of service to your users by being proactive
- Reduce costs by buying bandwidth and hardware according to actual load
“Being in tune with the network and being able to show ‘uptime’ numbers and metrics on a monthly basis is invaluable,” says Mr. Braune from Sysmex America, Inc. “It shows the business that we respond in an intelligent, coordinated manner when issues arise. I have already recommended Paessler's network monitoring tool to several of my colleagues.”
How PRTG's SNMP Monitor Works
PRTG is an effective SNMP monitor in several different ways:
- Monitoring of Standard Traffic Data. PRTG automatically searches for all interfaces of a device that shed light on inbound and outbound bandwidths, Unicast/Non-Unicast packages, or failures. The system subsequently provides a list of the identified ports, which makes setting up sensors simple.
- SNMP Helper for Monitoring Windows Data. Windows via SNMP delivers a multitude of monitoring data. Using Paessler's SNMP Helper, lists for easy access to several thousand performance counters on Windows-based machines can be generated. Based on these performance indicators, sensors for monitoring the specific system parameters can be set up with only a click of the mouse.
- Convenient Monitoring of Proprietary Data. Manufacturers of SNMP capable devices usually deliver access information (OIDs) to the data required for monitoring in the form of Management Information Base (MIB) files. For this purpose, Paessler has developed the MIB Importer that easily converts these files into so-called "OID-libraries" for PRTG. The MIB Importer can be downloaded free of charge. Additionally, a multitude of preconfigured OID libraries have already been built in to PRTG (e.g. Cisco routers, Dell servers, CPU loads, disk usages, printer page counts, environmental monitoring, and many more).
- Direct Creation of a Sensor in Case of Known OID. If a particular address (OID) of SNMP data is known, this can be manually entered in PRTG, quickly and easily creating a sensor.
|Download||Network Monitoring Software for Windows - Version 188.8.131.5291 (May 12th, 2016)|
|Languages||English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Czech, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Pricing||Free for up to 100 sensors (Price List)|
|Unified Monitoring||Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more|