"The page below is from the manual of PRTG, our quick-to-install and easy-to-use network monitoring software"
Try PRTG now and see how it can make your job easier.
PRTG Manual: Add a SensorStep 1 - Select Device
Note: This documentation refers to the PRTG System Administrator user accessing the Ajax interface on a master node. For other user accounts, interfaces, or nodes, not all of the options might be visible in the way described here. When using a cluster installation, failover nodes are read-only by default.
To add a sensor manually, select Sensors | Add Sensor from the main menu. Then an assistant will appear, leading you through two steps. For a faster setup, you can select Add Sensor... in the context menu of a device to which you want to add the new sensor. This will skip the device selection and take you directly to step 2.
Step 1 - Select Device
Click here to enlarge: https://media-s3.paessler.com/prtg-screenshots/addsensor2_new.png
- Select Add sensor to an existing device (default setting).
- Choose the device you want to add the new sensor to.
- Click Continue.
- The Add Sensor assistant appears.
Step 2 - Choose Sensor Type
Click here to enlarge: https://media-s3.paessler.com/prtg-screenshots/addsensor3.png
The Add Sensor assistant helps you choose the correct sensor (see screenshot above).
- Narrow down the sensor types by:
- Typing (parts of) the name into the search box.
- Shortlisting the sensor types by choosing appropriate criteria.
- Going through the detailed list of sensors matching the selected device.
- Choose which sensor best monitors the parameters you require.
- Click the sensor box to select this sensor (sensors recommended by PRTG will be displayed on top).
- The sensor settings dialog opens.
- Enter suitable sensor settings, for further information you can also go to the List of AvailableSensor Types section (see below) to find an explanation of each sensor’s settings.
Note: PRTG suggests sensor types to create on the selected device; this recommendation is automatically calculated based on the current user's sensor usage and shows the ten most commonly used sensor types by default (if enough sensor types are already in use).
Note: If you are unsure which sensor type will provide the information you require, then we recommend using the filter categories to progressively narrow down your choices.
You can either:
- Select the type of parameter you want to monitor via “monitor what".
- Specify the type of hardware you want to monitor and see what sensors are available for this type of hardware in “Target system type”.
- Make a choice on the technology through which you want to monitor (for example SNMP, Ping, etc.) in “Technology used”.
Note: Please also consider whether sensor’s performance impact is high or low by checking the bar in the lower left corner of the sensor box. For further information see the More section below.
- Confirm via Continue.
- PRTG immediately creates the sensor. The device's sensors list opens.
For more information about a sensor type, please see the manual section of the respective sensor (directly accessible via the “?”-symbol in the top-right corner). You can also go to the List of Available Sensor Types section to find a comprehensive overview of the sensor types.
Knowledge Base: How can I change the number of entries in most used sensor types?
Knowledge Base: How to Speed Up PRTG (especially section 4 - Sensor Type and Monitoring Considerations)
- Create Objects Manually
- Manage Device Tree
- Root Group Settings
- Probe Settings
- Group Settings
- Device Settings
- Sensor Settings—List of Available Sensor Types
- Additional Sensor Types (Custom Sensors)
- Sensor Channels Settings
- Sensor Notifications Settings