PRTG Manual: Libraries
With the Libraries feature in PRTG you can create special views of your device tree with up-to-the-minute monitoring status information, arranged the way you want it.
Example of a Library
In this section:
See also this video tutorial: PRTG Network Monitor – Libraries
Libraries are a powerful feature that enables you to create additional views of your device tree. These views are updated with the same scanning interval as your device tree, showing the same monitoring data, but arranged the way you want. This is useful if you want to display data in different ways, like depending on target groups or a specific use case.
For example, you can create a library that contains an overview of all your bandwidth monitoring sensors, regardless of the device they are running on.
The library features include:
- Create libraries containing nodes with monitoring objects from all over your configuration.
- Show data from different PRTG probes in one library.
- Show different branches of your device tree right next to each other.
- Arrange sensors in a tree-like view regardless of the device they are running on.
- Filter your entire tree (or parts of it) for sensor type, state, or tag, showing only matching sensors.
You can create libraries easily, using drag&drop.
PRTG comes with several pre-configured standard libraries, which you can use right away. You can also change or delete them, if you like. The following libraries are automatically created when you install PRTG for the first time (visible for the PRTG Administrator user). Some of them will initially be empty, but as you add more sensors, they will be filled automatically according to the filter settings defined for the nodes of the libraries:
- All bandwidth sensors
- All CPU load sensors
- All disk space sensors
- All memory sensors
- All VMware sensors
- Sensors grouped by priority
- Sensors grouped by state
Sensors that are added to libraries are not counted against the maximum number of sensors of your license.
Click Libraries in the main menu to view or add custom views of your network's status and monitoring data. Hover over Start Libraries to show other menu items. Choose between:
Open the Libraries overview list where you can view or add custom device tree views of your network status and monitoring data.
Open an assistant to directly create a new library.
Open an existing library. Hover over Select Library to show other menu items. Follow the menu path (it is specific to your setup) to select a library and open it.
In the All view, you see a list of all existing libraries. Using the links next to a library name, you can perform the following actions.
- Edit: Open this library and change the settings of the library and its nodes.
- Clone: Create a clone of this library.
- Delete: Delete this library.
- Used by: Show which other monitoring objects use this library.
- Click the Add Library button to add a new library.
Please also see Working with Table Lists. Additionally, the multi-edit functionality is available. This enables you to change properties of several objects simultaneously via bulk changes. For more details, see the Multi-Edit Lists section.
For detailed information on how to create and edit libraries please see the following sections.
Video Tutorial: PRTG Network Monitor – Libraries
- Arrange Objects
- Clone Object
- Create Device Template
- Show Dependencies
- Geo Maps
Other Ajax Web Interface Sections