PRTG Manual: Maps Step By Step
To create a new map, follow the steps in this section. In the web interface, click Maps in the main menu bar to show the maps main screen.
This documentation refers to the PRTG System Administrator user accessing the Ajax interface on a master node. If you use other user accounts, interfaces, or nodes, you might not see all of the options in the way described here. If you use a cluster installation, note that failover nodes are read-only by default.
In this section:
Hover over and select Add Map from the menu to add a map. An assistant appears. Enter a Map Name and define Map Layout settings (size and optionally a background image). in the Public Access section, define the accessibility to your map without login.
For detailed information, see Maps Settings section (Settings).
Add Maps Assistant Step 1
- Click the Create button to open the Map Designer.
- Select an object from the device tree on the left.
- Drag&drop an object from the items list on the right to the main window of the Map Designer.
- The item will immediately appear on the map.
- Define further properties of the item: mark it in the main window of the Map Designer and see section Properties on the right. Save your changes to the properties.
- Repeat this procedure as often as you wish until you have added all desired items to the map.
- Drag items to change their position. You can also draw connection lines between items and edit the properties of existing items.
For detailed information, see Map Designer section.
Click the View Map tab to see your map. Later, PRTG will show it the way you see it there. If available for an object, you can click most object names as well as all sensors. It depends on the access rights of the object and the currently logged in user account if you can get more detailed information about the object or an error message indicating insufficient access rights.
Click the Get HTML tab to get the direct URL of your map that you can share with others.
For detailed information, see Maps Settings section.
The single map items will refresh in the refresh interval you define for this map when viewing it. Hover over the arrows symbol in the lower right corner to define the interval.
PRTG Maps provide the possibility to publish data from various sources. Besides using the default map items you can create a completely individual map with desired data in any design. See the following articles for more details.
- Adding External Information to PRTG Maps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/9263
Embed information from other sources than PRTG into your map using IFRAME or IMG, for example, weather and traffic maps or webcam images.
- Map Rotation and Public Map Rotation: PRTG Manual: Maps
Show several maps rotating on one page just like in a slide show.
- Nest Maps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/71833
Display and link multiple maps within on map.
- Accumulating Sensor Data with HTTP XML/REST Value Sensor: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/71932
Display sensor data from various PRTG installations in a single map using the HTTP XML/REST Value sensor.
- Use your Own Images in PRTG Maps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/8043
Add any browser-compatible image to your map.
- Adding and Customizing Map Objects: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1703
Create customized or completely new map objects.
- Custom Map Objects for PRTG Maps: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/61263
Find read-to-use custom map objects and other map customizations.
Video Tutorial: How to Create Maps in PRTG