PRTG Manual: Maps Step By Step
This section was moved and is no longer kept up to date. For a detailed, up-to-date step-by-step guide, see the Paessler website: How to create dashboards in PRTG with the Maps feature in 5 steps.
This documentation refers to an administrator that accesses the PRTG web interface on a master node. Other user accounts, interfaces, or failover nodes might not have all of the options in the way described here. In a cluster, note that failover nodes are read-only by default.
To create and review a map, take the following steps:
First, you need to create a new map:
- Click Maps in the main menu bar to show an overview list of all maps.
- Hover over and select Add Map from the menu to open the Add Map dialog.
- Enter a meaningful Map Name.
- Enter the Map Width and the Map Height in pixels. Optionally, you can upload a background image.
- In the Map Access section, define the accessibility to your map.
- Click Create.
For more information, see section Maps Settings.
When a user with administrative rights creates a new object, only other users with administrative rights can view or edit the new object by default. When a read/write user creates a new object, all members of the read/write user's primary group can view and edit the new object as well. This behavior applies to libraries, maps, reports, notification templates, and schedules. For more information, see section Access Rights Management.
Because the new map is empty in the beginning, you need to add map items to fill the map with content.
- When you create a new map, the Map Designer tab opens.
- Select an object from the Device Tree section on the left.
- Drag and drop an object from the Properties section on the right onto the map design area in the middle.
- Select the new map item to edit its attributes in the Properties section.
- Click Save.
- Repeat this procedure as often as you wish until you added all desired items to the map.
- Drag items to change their position. You can also draw connection lines between items.
For more information, see section Map Designer.
Step 3: View and Share the Map
You can always preview your map:
- Click the View Map tab to show your map.
- Click different object names to get more detailed information.
It depends on the access rights of an object and the logged in user account if a user can get more detailed information about the object or if they get an error message that indicates insufficient access rights.
Map items of the type Data Tables also behave differently depending on the defined security context and the logged in user account.
- Click the Get HTML tab to get a direct URL of your map that you can share with others.
- You can also add your map as a dashboard to the Home menu of the PRTG web interface.
- You can change the interval until a new map appears. Hover over in the lower-right corner and choose from 10s, 30s, 60s (seconds), 10m (minutes), and Refresh (now).
Maps provide the possibility to publish data from various sources. You can always use the default map items, or you can create completely customized maps in any design.
For more information, see More below.
How can I show up-to-date weather information, webcam, and radar images in PRTG Maps?
Is it possible to nest a PRTG map in another one?
How can I display sensor data from various PRTG installations in a single map?
Can I use my own images/icons/logos in the PRTG map editor?
Creating maps in PRTG