PRTG Manual: Step 1: Download, Installation, and First Login
We offer two options to monitor your network with PRTG: Use PRTG on premises to run PRTG in your network, or use PRTG Hosted Monitor to run PRTG on a server that Paessler hosts for you.
To use PRTG on premises, download it from the Paessler website and install it on a Windows system.
PRTG Hosted Monitor does not require a download or an installation. You can create an instance on https://www.paessler.com/prtg-hosted-monitor.
You can find the PRTG installer on the Paessler website. There, you can also log in to the Paessler shop to buy or upgrade your license or to renew your maintenance.
This only applies to PRTG on premises installations, not to PRTG Hosted Monitor instances.
Once you have installed PRTG, the auto-update automatically downloads and installs new software versions.
Double-click the setup file on the system that you want to use as the PRTG core server. Follow the installation wizard and install the software.
At the end of the installation, open the PRTG web interface with one of the officially supported browsers:
- Google Chrome 72,
- Mozilla Firefox 65, or
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.
Because of scripting incompatibilities, you might not be able to use all functionalities of the PRTG web interface with Internet Explorer 10 or earlier and other older browsers. If you cannot access the PRTG web interface, open the URL of PRTG in a different supported browser.
PRTG Hosted Monitor runs in the cloud, so it does not require a download or an installation.
- Open https://www.paessler.com/prtg-hosted-monitor with a supported browser.
- You can directly start a free trial. Enter your desired domain name (between 4 and 60 characters) and click Start Free Trial Now. You can reach your PRTG Hosted Monitor instance with your browser under <yourdomain>.my-prtg.com later.
- A window where you have to sign in appears. You can use single sign-on (SSO) (Auth0) and directly sign in with your Google, Facebook, Windows, or Amazon account. Click the desired service and sign in with the respective credentials. Alternatively, you can register at https://www.paessler.com/prtg-hosted-monitor with dedicated credentials.
- After you signed in, choose your subscription plan. You can start with a free trial for 10 days, for example.
- Click Subscribe Now and PRTG creates a PRTG Hosted Monitor instance for you.
As soon as your PRTG Hosted Monitor instance is ready, the PRTG web interface opens, shows the device tree, and starts the smart setup assistant. You can instantly monitor all servers, services, and devices that are publicly available via the internet.
Make sure that you load the PRTG web interface with one of the supported browsers. We recommend that you always use the latest version of Google Chrome.
After you installed PRTG on premises, open the PRTG web interface with a supported browser. You see the login screen.
- PRTG automatically fills in the credentials of the predefined PRTG System Administrator user. The login name and the initial password is prtgadmin. If you use PRTG on premises, click Login to proceed.
- If you use PRTG Hosted Monitor, you can use single sign-on (SSO) (Auth0) and sign in with your Google, Facebook, Amazon, or Windows account, or you can enter your dedicated https://www.paessler.com/prtg-hosted-monitor credentials and click Log In. See section Create a PRTG Hosted Monitor Instance for more information on how to get started with PRTG Hosted Monitor.
Make sure you use a supported browser when you log in to PRTG. Use Google Chrome 72, Mozilla Firefox 65, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.
All video tutorials