PRTG Manual: Enter a License Key
A license key for PRTG Network Monitor consists of the License Name and a License Key. The key is a string that consists of eight blocks with five characters each.
You have received the License Name (PRTG Network Monitor only) and the License Key from Paessler via email or in a license document in the Paessler Software Shop and Customer Service Portal. Copy this information and paste it when PRTG asks you to enter your license information in the setup dialog.
You can find the label License Owner in some documents from the Paessler shop. License Owner is the same as License Name, for which you might be asked when you install PRTG or when you change your license key.
For the Trial Edition and Freeware Edition, you receive the required license information on the Paessler web page when you download the Trial Edition of PRTG. For the Commercial Edition, use your commercial license information.
Paessler PRTG Enterprise Monitor subscription licenses do not have a License Name.
There are two license key types:
- Trial Edition/Freeware Edition license key: With a Trial Edition license key, you can experience unlimited functionality of PRTG during the 30-day trial period. Your installation automatically switches to the Freeware Edition afterward.
For more information about how to get your free Trial Edition, see section Download PRTG.
- Commercial Edition license key: You can only enter this key if you have purchased the Commercial Edition. Your installation allows the number of sensors according to your license.
During the setup process for installing the Commercial Edition, PRTG asks you to enter your license information. We recommend that you copy and paste your license data. If you install the Trial Edition, you do not need to enter a license key.
Because PRTG already asks for a key during installation, you usually do not need to manually enter one afterward. However, there are still scenarios where you need to change your key and activate the respective license. For example, you must provide your Commercial Edition license key if you have purchased the Commercial Edition and want to upgrade your Freeware Edition or Trial Edition, or if you upgrade a Commercial Edition license to a higher edition.
- To enter a new license key, log in to the PRTG web interface.
- Select Setup | License Information from the main menu bar.
- Click Change License Key. The Update Your License page appears where you can activate your new license.
- Select the activation type Automatic (online activation with optional HTTP proxy) if your PRTG core server can connect to the internet.
Without internet access, you must select Manual (offline activation). The activation process works a bit differently in this case and requires manual interaction. See section License Information for more information.
- Enter your license information and click Update License.
- PRTG connects to the Paessler activation server on port 443 and validates your license.
If everything works fine, you see the message Activation was successful as License Status at the top of the page.
For more information, see section License Information.
The PRTG core server needs an internet connection on port 443 to activate. If a proxy connection is needed, see step 3 on the Update Your License page. If the activation fails, you can also try an offline activation.
How do I upgrade to a higher edition of PRTG?
The automatic license activation of my PRTG Enterprise Monitor license does not work. What can I do?