Use PRTG as Your Bandwidth Monitor Program!
Set up PRTG for Regular Bandwidth Checks
Many companies face the following issues: clients and employees moan about slow response times of applications and websites. Solving this challenge is often more difficult than generally assumed. Is it the core router or the department switch, are the disks slow or does the server need more CPU-power? Are the leased lines the bottleneck? Or are there applications you would not expect eating up your bandwidth, such as file-sharing, streaming or skype?
For a quick and accurate analysis you need a network monitoring solution with integrated bandwidth monitor such as PRTG Network Monitor. PRTG analyzes the traffic in your network and provides you with detailed results - tables and graphs.
"One great advantage of PRTG is the speed from download to use. I had my bandwidth monitor running in less than 10 minutes. Obviously it depends on how many nodes you are running and it can take a couple of minutes per node. But I only monitored 4-5 to begin for internet connection and it was done in less than 10 minutes" says Rogier Boeken from Accel.
You can download and test PRTG for free. The setup under Windows is quick and easy and you will have the first bandwidth monitoring results within minutes.
- SNMP is ideal for simple bandwidth monitoring: the SNMP-based bandwidth viewer functionality puts only a low CPU load on the server, but it does not offer the same level of detail as the packet sniffer freeware or NetFlow monitoring
- Packet sniffing: allows a detailed bandwidth analysis broken down by protocol or IP address. However, this method puts a higher CPU load on the server running PRTG
- The NetFlow protocol is ideal for monitoring Cisco devices that support this advanced technology. The monitoring data provided is similar to that offered by the free network sniffer, but causes a lower CPU load.
Benefits of a Bandwidth Monitor
Understanding bandwidth and resource consumption is the key to better network management:
- Avoid bandwidth and server performance bottlenecks
- Find out what applications or what servers are using up your bandwidth
- Deliver better quality of service to your users by being proactive
- Reduce costs by buying bandwidth and hardware according to actual load
Although it is difficult to gauge just how helpful to the business Paessler's bandwidth monitor has been Rogier considers it to be a very effective and useful tool. The company's bandwidth usage has increased substantially over the last few years and PRTG allows for the monitoring of the consumption and increased capacity before it reaches the threshold where a problem could occur. "So," said Rogier, " it is helping the business run smoothly as we're able to anticipate likely bandwidth problems."
Are You Looking For a Network And Bandwidth Monitor?
Often a bandwidth monitor it is not enough to ensure server performance and avoid network bottlenecks and you will have to monitor addtional parameters like uptime, response times, etc.... Wouldn't it be perfect to have all this integrated in one product? That is why PRTG Network Monitor covers not only bandwidth monitoring and bandwidth checks, but supports over 200 different sensor types for availability monitoring. Thus makes PRTG Network Monitor the perfect tool for the complete range of network monitoring.
The bandwidth and network monitoring tool is available as freeware and can be downloaded and set up within minutes.
Free Bandwidth Monitor
You can test our free network monitor with the 30-Day-Trial-Edition. The Freeware Edition is completely free for personal and commercial use, and may be downloaded at no cost. Need more sensors to monitor a larger IT infrastructure? See our commercial licenses here.