PRTG network monitoring tools: What you’ll find on this page
- Benefits of optimizing your network infrastructure
- Features of our network monitoring tools
- Professional network monitoring for every use case
- How to set up network monitoring with PRTG
- What’s included in the free edition?
- Customer success stories
- Compare network monitoring tools
- Monitor your network: FAQ
Keep your systems running smoothly with our network monitoring tool PRTG
With over 500,000 active installations, PRTG is our most powerful and widely-used network monitoring software.
Everything you need is contained in one simple installer, no additional downloads are required. Plus, PRTG fits into any budget and grows with your needs.
What network monitoring looks like in PRTG
Diagnose network issues by continuously monitoring servers, firewalls, routers, switches, applications, services, and more. Show availability, health, traffic, and bandwidth metrics in real time and visualize data in graphic maps & dashboards to identify problems more easily. Gain the visibility you need to troubleshoot everything regarding your network.
Why optimize your network infrastructure with PRTG network monitoring software?
Our software helps your business perform better by helping you find problems and resolve them before they become a serious threat.
- Increase profits by avoiding losses caused by undetected system failures.
- Reduce costs by buying bandwidth and hardware according to actual load.
- Eliminate server performance problems and bandwidth bottlenecks.
- Deliver better service to your users by preventing emergencies before they occur.
- Get peace of mind by knowing everything is running fine.
- Free up time to take care of other important business.
Features of PRTG computer network monitoring tools
No need for external consultancy. PRTG is easy to install and intuitive to use, with features such as:
- Remote management via the PRTG web interface or our free PRTG apps for iOS or Android
- Customizable, central alerting and notifications by email, SMS, push notification, and more
- Monitoring of multiple distributed locations and networks
- All common technologies for network usage data acquisition are supported (SNMP, WMI, Packet Sniffing, Flow, SSH, and more)
- Agentless monitoring
- No vendor lock-in
- Customizable reporting system for granular reports in different formats
- Multiple visualization options such as custom dashboards and network maps
- Comprehensive set of preconfigured sensors for monitoring every aspect of your network
Setup is easy with PRTG network monitoring
- Download and run the PRTG installer with just a few clicks
- Let the automatic network discovery set up your first devices and sensors
- Use the Smart Setup assistant to guide you through the first steps with PRTG
Setup is quick and easy in just minutes with the auto-discovery of our network meter. The preconfigured device templates select the appropriate sensor settings for servers, applications, and network devices. You can also manually configure PRTG, of course.
What’s included in the free edition of PRTG?
Many system administrators opt for free network monitoring software, if for nothing else than to avoid having to get a budget approved by a supervisor. With our free monitoring tool, you get:
- A freeware monitoring solution for up to 100 sensors for life
- Monitoring of hardware, software, network performance, data traffic included
- Free alarm, reports, and mapping features
With the freeware edition of PRTG, you can get started with network monitoring in a matter of minutes. Our auto-discovery function detects all the devices within a given IP address range and automatically incorporates them into your monitoring environment.
PRTG is compatible with all major vendors and manufacturers
Professional network monitoring service for every infrastructure
Our powerful network monitoring tool PRTG includes all monitoring features to keep track of your entire IT infrastructure, check hardware health, network traffic, the uptime of your websites, monitor the performance of your services, and much more.
PRTG is the right network monitoring solution for various settings and environments.
PRTG Network Monitor
Monitor your IT, OT, & Industrial IT
- For small and mid-sized infrastructures
- Monitor up to 1,000 devices and services
- Classic on-premises deployment
- Perpetual license
PRTG Enterprise Monitor
Ideal for distributed monitoring
- For large & very large environments
- Monitor thousands of devices and services
- Monitor multiple distributed infrastructures
- Flexible subscription license
PRTG Hosted Monitor
Leave the hosting to u
- For small and mid-sized infrastructures
- Monitor up to 1,000 devices and services
- No dedicated hardware needed
- Flexible subscriptions
Compare PRTG to the competition
Success stories from our customers
Read customer success stories from the 500,000 administrators worldwide who put their trust in our software. They choose PRTG to ensure a stable and secure IT infrastructure in many industries such as manufacturing, hospitals, airports, cities, and universities.
IT network monitoring: FAQ
Network monitoring refers to the monitoring of an entire network environment. Its goal is to allow sysadmins to work in a better, quicker, and more efficient manner. Network monitoring focuses on parameters such as bandwidth consumption and the availability of network devices.
Some of the monitored devices include the local and Internet-based systems in an IT environment, such as databases, applications, clouds, servers, and network infrastructures. Network monitoring allows admins to ensure their networks run smoothly, effectively, and free of errors.
The mere implementation of a network monitor is not enough. The key to effective network monitoring in real time is to ensure that your tool has been configured to monitor your network's “vital signs”: availability, speed, and usage.
- Network availability: Monitoring this allows both internal and external parties to access the services, including websites, and you can determine whether the mail servers and leased lines are working.
- Network speed: Using bandwidth monitoring prevents your websites and network services from losing visitors or frustrate users due to slow-loading pages, files, or images.
- Network usage: Monitoring usage enables you to accurately assess CPU load and learn what sort of work the servers are doing at different times of the day.
- General network status: Check the status of your entire network with just a glance to free up time for other tasks. If a malfunction occurs or the status of a device changes, you'll be notified immediately and can take action at once.
- Network devices: Large networks contain devices from a variety of manufacturers: switches, servers, workstations, and routers. Most monitoring tools only monitor the devices of specific manufacturers or require expensive add-ons. However, PRTG covers nearly every manufacturer.
- Network traffic: PRTG shows you which applications, connections, and data types are putting the greatest strain on your network. In the event of disruptions or overloads, PRTG triggers the alarm at once.
Downtime and malfunctions can cause the performance of the entire company to suffer. At the same time, IT managers are under more and more pressure. They’re forced to act quickly but often don’t know where the problem lies. Here’s how PRTG helps IT managers get a handle on their network:
- Identify bottlenecks and eliminate disruptions
Applications and devices that consume excessive amounts of bandwidth can bring an entire network to a standstill. It is crucial to know exactly how much traffic is running through your network. By monitoring traffic and bandwidth, you’ll keep a constant eye on your network capacity and can prevent disruptions caused by bottlenecks and overloads. As a result, you’ll ensure business goes on as usual.
- Optimize performance and eliminate downtime
For business processes to be successful, your servers and databases must always be up and running. If a web or mail server goes down, your company feels the pinch immediately and is forced to free up valuable resources to solve the problem. You should keep a constant eye on the most important aspects of your database, including its query, connection, and response times. With comprehensive network monitoring, you can monitor all your servers around the clock and make sure they are always operational.
- Ensure devices and applications run properly
Many applications are critical for your business. With PRTG, you can monitor your network to detect potential problems and errors before they arise. Otherwise, you run the risk of malfunctions causing serious disruptions to your business. Help your coworkers be as productive as possible by ensuring all the devices and applications in your LAN and WAN are running smoothly.
PRTG is used by companies with a few dozen workers to several thousand employees. Our PRTG products and licenses are based on the size of your IT infrastructure and the required number of sensors. From very small to extremely large networks – our software provides peace of mind to everyone.
Yes, you can. You get to choose which devices are monitored by PRTG. You also get to define the scope of your monitoring. For example, you can choose to only monitor the CPU, free disk space, or certain ports of a specific device.
Yes. PRTG uses Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), performance counters, and SNMP to monitor your Windows Servers, operating system, processes, and services. You can monitor the following Windows parameters, for example:
- System uptime
- CPU load
- File system
- Update status
- Free disk space
- Event logs
More than just a monitoring tool:
Reasons our customers love PRTG
PRTG: The multi-tool for sysadminsAdapt PRTG individually and dynamically to your needs and rely on a strong API:
- HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects via HTTP requests
- Custom sensors: Create your own PRTG sensors for customized monitoring
- Custom notifications: Create your own notifications and send action triggers to external systems
- REST Custom sensor: Monitor almost everything that provides data in XML or JSON format
Paessler PRTG is used by companies of all sizes. Sysadmins love PRTG because it makes their job a whole lot easier. Bandwidth, servers, virtual environments, websites, VoIP services – PRTG keeps an eye on your entire network. Everyone has different monitoring needs. That’s why we let you try PRTG for free.
Still not convinced?
More than 500,000
sysadmins love PRTG
Monitor your entire IT infrastructure
Try Paessler PRTG
Paessler PRTG is used by companies of all sizes. Sysadmins love PRTG because it makes their job a whole lot easier.
Bandwidth, servers, virtual environments, websites, VoIP services – PRTG keeps an eye on your entire network.
Everyone has different monitoring needs. That’s why we let you try PRTG for free.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 18.104.22.1684 (February 14th, 2024)
|Download for Windows and cloud-based version PRTG Hosted Monitor available
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more
Supported Vendors & Applications