Monitor IT infrastructures both efficiently & securely with the PRTG agentless monitoring tool
- Secure agentless monitoring – even in remote networks
- Quick & easy integration thanks to compatibility with many native protocols
- Automated setup of your agentless monitoring
Why PRTG is the right tool for your agentless monitoring
Agentless monitoring saves you time and resources
Corporate IT infrastructures are becoming more and more complex. Numerous physical devices are now integrated into one or more networks, including servers, computers, routers, switches, ports, storage systems, IoT systems, and more.
When IT monitoring tools monitor systems directly, without any additional preparation (e.g., the installation of software agents), then this is referred to as “agentless monitoring.” This direct approach is particularly time-saving and efficient.
PRTG is compatible with all major vendors & manufacturers
What does a monitoring agent do?
Agent-based monitoring always requires an intermediary, or a so-called “agent” that is preinstalled by the manufacturer or IT administrator on the system whose performance is to be monitored.
This agent is usually a small piece of software that records then sends monitoring data to the IT monitoring tool. On the other hand, with agentless monitoring data is sent to the monitoring tool directly via built-in protocols or APIs.
3 good reasons to choose PRTG as your agentless monitoring tool
Paessler PRTG is an all-purpose agentless monitoring solution that combines the advantages of agentless monitoring with the benefits of agent-based monitoring.
Secure agentless monitoring – even in remote networks
Agentless monitoring is criticized as being unable to meet increasing security requirements and the needs of complex IT infrastructures that are often distributed across multiple locations. This is because agentless monitoring tools need remote access to monitor remote systems, which in turn can pose a security risk.
Not so with PRTG!
PRTG comes with remote probes that you can set up if your infrastructure consists of several distributed networks separated by firewalls from your local PRTG server. These probes monitor your system autonomously and transmit the collected data to the main PRTG server via TLS, providing you with a continuous, centralized overview of your entire monitoring environment.
Compatibility with protocols
In order to implement agentless monitoring, you need a monitoring tool that integrates as many native protocols as possible. PRTG does just that. It works with numerous protocols and technologies, including SNMP, WMI, HTTP/S, SSH, POP3, FTP, SMTP, NetFlow, sFlow, IP SLA, IPFIX, IPMI, Redfish, Modbus, MQTT, and many more.
PRTG also comes with more than 250 preconfigured sensors for all the biggest manufacturers. For example, you can use PRTG SNMP sensors to monitor the system status of a Cisco device or Cisco UCS Blade Server, the hard disk of a Dell EqualLogic SAN storage system, or the free space of a logical hard disk.
Automated network discovery for quick setup
The PRTG Auto Discovery feature lets you set up your monitoring automatically after installation with just a few clicks. With this feature, PRTG automatically detects the subsystems and network devices in your IT infrastructure. The software uses preconfigured device templates to set up appropriate sensors so you can get started with your monitoring at once. The data from the detected devices is collected directly and displayed on easy-to-read dashboards.
PRTG also comes with custom sensors which allow you to personalize your monitoring as needed. With PRTG, you’ll never lose sight of your IT infrastructure and can prevent problems before they arise.
PRTG makes your job easier
Our monitoring software frees you to focus on other tasks by promptly notifying you of potential issues.
PRTG gives you one central monitoring tool for your servers and entire network. Enjoy a quick overview of your whole infrastructure via our dashboard and app.
Getting started with PRTG is a breeze. Setting up or switching from another network monitoring tool is easy thanks to the auto-discovery and pre-configured device templates.
Agentless vs. agent-based monitoring
The advantages of agentless monitoring
Agentless monitoring requires little work and preparation. Thanks to its convenience, it is the most popular method for monitoring networks.
- With agentless monitoring, there’s no need to install agents on the network objects to be monitored. As a result, the monitored devices remain unhindered and continue to perform well.
- Agents must be updated regularly. Agentless monitoring eliminates this tedious task.
The advantages of agent-based monitoring
- Agent-based monitoring often allows for the collection of more detailed data. This is due to the fact that some software and hardware providers offer agents that transmit more values to the IT monitoring tool.
- By collecting the data themselves, agents reduce the load on the main server.
The disadvantages of agent-based monitoring
- Installing software agents on multiple servers is time-consuming, especially in large IT environments. Agentless monitoring therefore comes with less administrative hassle.
- Agents often require lots of CPU and memory and can significantly slow down the devices on which they are installed, and in some cases even bring them to a complete halt.
“Easy to implement and configure with good technical support.”
R. v. S., ICT Manager at Heinen & Hopman Eng BV
More than just a monitoring tool: Reasons our customers love PRTG
Create innovative solutions with Paessler’s IT partners
Partnering with innovative IT vendors, Paessler unleashes synergies to create
new and additional benefits for joined customers.
PRTG: The multi-tool for sysadminsAdapt PRTG individually and dynamically to your needs and rely on a strong API:
- HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects via HTTP requests
- Custom sensors: Create your own PRTG sensors for customized monitoring
- Custom notifications: Create your own notifications and send action triggers to external systems
- REST Custom sensor: Monitor almost everything that provides data in XML or JSON format
Still not convinced?
More than 500,000
sysadmins love PRTG
Paessler PRTG is used by companies of all sizes. Sysadmins love PRTG because it makes their job a whole lot easier.
Monitor your entire IT infrastructure
Bandwidth, servers, virtual environments, websites, VoIP services – PRTG keeps an eye on your entire network.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 184.108.40.2061 (October 2nd, 2023)|
|Download for Windows and cloud-based version PRTG Hosted Monitor available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications