Professional database monitor PRTG
All-in-one database monitoring
at a glance
Oracle SQL, Microsoft SQL,
MySQL, PostgreSQL & more
Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days. After 30 days, PRTG reverts to a free version.
Or, you can upgrade to a paid license anytime.
5 reasons for using PRTG
iWhat is a sensor?
In PRTG, “Sensors” are the basic monitoring elements. One sensor usually monitors one measured value in your network, e.g. the traffic of a switch port, the CPU load of a server, the free space of a disk drive. On average you need about 5-10 sensors per device or one sensor per switch port.
A more concise overview
Database availability and database performance are vital elements to your business's operations. PRTG queries data from your database without lengthy query, connection, or return times. The execution time of the entire database request is displayed on your PRTG dashboard at all times.
A detailed view
Monitor specific datasets from your databases, like no other database monitoring tools do, with individually-configured PRTG sensors and SQL queries that you define yourself. These datasets may come from the ticket database or online shop (see examples). Such database monitoring will enable you to optimize your business procedures and provide employees with important information.
Would you like to use PRTG to analyze and monitor specific datasets in your databases? Then combine your database monitor with customizable reports which you can have sent to your managers automatically. With PRTG, all reporting features are included!
A variety of manufactures
PRTG offers predefined sensors for every important database manufacturer. Among them: MySQL, Microsoft SQL v2, Oracle SQL v2, and PostgreSQL. If you use a database that is not listed here, you can often run our ADO SQL v2 Sensor. Not enough? Write your own custom sensor easily.
Thanks to the PRTG dashboard, you'll enjoy an overview of all your databases - and much more, if you so choose. With PRTG, you can monitor your entire network. This is smart, for if your databases are acting up, the problem may ultimately lie elsewhere.
3 examples of
database monitoring with PRTG
With PRTG, you can track your stock. When your online shop is booming, your warehouse often takes a heavy hit. PRTG will promptly notify those in charge so they can deal with the situation quickly.
Many companies uses ticket databases for outstanding work orders. Paessler also uses a ticket database, e.g. for its customer support. If this database contains too many unprocessed tickets, PRTG will automatically sound the alarm. When the sensor switches to red, you'll know at once that additional staff is required.
How much does your company make per hour, per day, per week? Use PRTG to display these figures on a screen in the office where everyone can see them. Further stats, such as the number of visitors to your website, are also part of the overview.
Your database at a glance
PRTG can be started within minutes and it's compatible with many mobile devices.
The basis: databases, downtime, alarms
Practically every business operation at any modern company is based on information that is stored and managed in SQL (Structured Query Language) databases. For a business to be successful, these databases must always be up and running.
Database crashes can be caused by hardware errors, faulty configurations, or too little disk space or memory. Corrupted databases with defective files can also lead to problems. PRTG allows administrators to ensure their databases are constantly available and performing in an optimal manner.
PRTG features a customizable alarm system. Configure its settings in such a way as to be informed promptly - before bigger problems arise. Be alerted by email or SMS, for example. Once notified, you can quickly intervene to resolve the database issue.
PRTG has sensors for them all
PRTG comes with 200+ predefined sensors for manufacturers like Oracle, Microsoft or IBM. During setup, PRTG pings the network and automatically creates appropriate sensors. This saves administrators a great deal of time. PRTG also provides sensors for the various different databases.
- Oracle SQL: Oracle has always enjoyed a large market share, especially in the business environment. For this database, PRTG offers the Oracle SQL v2 Sensor.
- Microsoft SQL: Microsoft's database solution is also in widespread use. For this database, PRTG offers the Microsoft SQL v2 Sensor.
- MySQL: MySQL is the most popular open source database, used by a multitude of websites, as well as by small and medium-sized companies. For MySQL, apply the MySQL v2 Sensor.
- PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL is also an open source database system. Use the PRTG PostgreSQL Sensor to monitor a system of this kind.
- More databases: If you work with a different database than those listed above, give our ADO SQL v2 Sensor a try. This sensor can monitor any data source which is available through OLE DB or ODBC.
FYI: WMI Microsoft SQL sensors will let you call up specific information from your databases. This sensor is available in four versions: 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2016. Find out more in our blog post, "Sensor of the week: Microsoft SQL Sensor."
Over 95% of our customers recommend PRTG
Paessler AG worldwide trialled PRTG in over 600 IT departments.
The aim was to tune the network monitoring software closer to the needs of the administrators.
The result of the survey: over 95% of the participants would recommend PRTG - or already had.
Remote location monitoring with remote probes
Practical tip: “Hey Arne, what would you tell administrators looking to use PRTG to monitor their databases?”
“With the PRTG SQL Sensor, you can display up to ten results from one table. If it is impossible to provide results from the table to be evaluated in a fixed order, you can use the “key-value pair” in the SQL sensor to evaluate the data. Create a two-column table with SQL and identify the lines in the left-hand column which contain unique content. PRTG will then use the values from the adjacent column for the sensor display.”
Arne Seifert, technical support at Paessler AG
PRTG simplifies your day
Our monitoring software works for you and promptly notifies you of potential issues.
It frees you to concentrate on your day-to-day tasks with peace of mind.
PRTG saves time
With PRTG, you get one central monitoring tool for your servers and entire network. Enjoy a quick overview of your whole infrastructure via our dashboard and app.
PRTG saves worry
Customizing PRTG is a breeze. Getting started or switching from another network monitoring tool is easy thanks to the PRTG auto-discovery and pre-configured device templates.
3 topics from our knowledge base
Every day, our support team responds to questions from PRTG users. We aim to resolve every inquiry within 24 hours (on business days). Here are some of the most common questions regarding database performance monitoring:
PAESSLER AG –
- Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days
- After 30 days, PRTG reverts to a free version
- Or, you can upgrade to a paid license anytime
Most administrators want to test a tool for free before deciding to make an investment.
The many advantages of PRTG:
1. Free trial version: Take the time to explore PRTG so you can determine if it satisfies your needs and meets your expectations. Once the trial is over, it’s easy to upgrade your already configured version of PRTG, which means you’re much less likely to make an incorrect purchase.
2. One tool, one overview: Administrators often use a variety of monitoring solutions for their network or for the individual components of their infrastructure. But using several different tools every time you want to create an overview costs time and energy. PRTG is an “all-in-one” solution. Our dashboard and app provide a comprehensive overview, whenever you want it.
3. Quick customer support: Got a question? Stuck on a problem and need a hand? PRTG is backed by a dedicated development and support team. We do our utmost to answer every customer inquiry within 24 hours (on business days). Browse all our support topics here.
Configure your PRTG today. The trial version is free of charge. Save time, worry, and money with our monitoring tool designed for your network and entire infrastructure.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 220.127.116.116 (November 25th, 2019)|
|Download for Windows and hosted version available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications