5 Reasons for Using PRTG
A more concise overview
Database availability and database performance are vital elements to your business's operations. PRTG queries data from your database without lengthy query, connection, or return times. The execution time of the entire database request is displayed on your PRTG dashboard at all times.
A detailed view
Monitor specific datasets from your databases, like no other database monitoring tools do, with individually-configured PRTG sensors and SQL queries that you define yourself. These datasets may come from the ticket database or online shop (see examples). Such database monitoring will enable you to optimize your business procedures and provide employees with important information.
Would you like to use PRTG to analyze and monitor specific datasets in your databases? Then combine your database monitor with customizable reports which you can have sent to your managers automatically. With PRTG, all reporting features are included!
A variety of manufactures
PRTG offers predefined sensors for every important database manufacturer. Among them: MySQL, Microsoft SQL, Oracle SQL, and PostgreSQL. If you use a database that is not listed here, you can often run our ADO SQL Sensor. Not enough? Write your own custom sensor easily.
Thanks to the PRTG dashboard, you'll enjoy an overview of all your databases - and much more, if you so choose. With PRTG, you can monitor your entire network. This is smart, for if your databases are acting up, the problem may ultimately lie elsewhere.
Your Database Monitor PRTG at a glance
3 examples of
database monitoring with PRTG
Many companies uses ticket databases for outstanding work orders. Paessler also uses a ticket database, e.g. for its customer support. If this database contains too many unprocessed tickets, PRTG will automatically sound the alarm. When the sensor switches to red, you'll know at once that additional staff is required.
With PRTG, you can track your stock. When your online shop is booming, your warehouse often takes a heavy hit. PRTG will promptly notify those in charge so they can deal with the situation quickly.
How much does your company make per hour, per day, per week? Use PRTG to display these figures on a screen in the office where everyone can see them. Further stats, such as the number of visitors to your website, are also part of the overview.
Your database at a glance
PRTG comes preconfigured for many different database providers. Customizable and flexible.
“The support we received from Paessler AG was extremely reassuring. Their reaction time, know-how, and solutions were outstanding in every department.”
Andreas Reimann, Senior Networking Communication Architect at Zürich Airport. Zürich Airport uses more than 4,500 sensors for its monitoring. To the case study (german)
200,000 administrators worldwide
trust in our software. Every day.
Databases, downtime, alarms
Practically every business operation at any modern company is based on information that is stored and managed in SQL (Structured Query Language) databases. For a business to be successful, these databases must always be up and running.
Database crashes can be caused by hardware errors, faulty configurations, or too little disk space or memory. Corrupted databases with defective files can also lead to problems. PRTG allows administrators to ensure their databases are constantly available and performing in an optimal manner.
PRTG features a customizable alarm system. Configure its settings in such a way as to be informed promptly - before bigger problems arise. Be alerted by email or SMS, for example. Once notified, you can quickly intervene to resolve the database issue.
PRTG has sensors for them all
PRTG comes with 200+ predefined sensors for manufacturers like Oracle, Microsoft or IBM. During setup, PRTG pings the network and automatically creates appropriate sensors. This saves administrators a great deal of time. PRTG also provides sensors for the various different databases.
- Oracle SQL: Oracle has always enjoyed a large market share, especially in the business environment. For this database, PRTG offers the Oracle SQL v2 Sensor.
- Microsoft SQL: Microsoft's database solution is also in widespread use. For this database, PRTG offers the Microsoft SQL v2 Sensor.
- MySQL: MySQL is the most popular open source database, used by a multitude of websites, as well as by small and medium-sized companies. For MySQL, apply the MySQL v2 Sensor.
- PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL is also an open source database system. Use PRTG's PostgreSQL Sensor to monitor a system of this kind.
- More databases: If you work with a different database than those listed above, give our ADO SQL Sensor a try. This sensor can monitor any data source which is available through OLE DB or ODBC.
WMI Microsoft SQL sensors will let you call up specific information from your databases. This sensor is available in four versions: 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2016. Find out more in our blog post, "Sensor of the week: Microsoft SQL Sensor."
Over 95% of our customers recommend PRTG
Paessler AG submitted an extensive survey to interview more than 600 IT departments worldwide who use PRTG. The goal of this survey was to optimize and fine-tune our Network Monitoring Software to better meet the needs of administrators.
One survey result: more than 95% of the participants would recommend PRTG - or have already done so.
Practical tip: “Hey Arne, what would you tell administrators looking to use PRTG to monitor their databases?”
"With PRTG’s SQL Sensor, you can display up to ten results from one table. If it is impossible to provide results from the table to be evaluated in a fixed order, you can use the “key-value pair” in the SQL sensor to evaluate the data. Create a two-column table with SQL and identify the lines in the left-hand column which contain unique content. PRTG will then use the values from the adjacent column for the sensor display".
Arne Seifert works in the Paessler AG support department.
The Swiss Army Knife for Admins
Adapt PRTG individually and dynamically, to your specific needs, using the API:
- HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects using HTTP requests
- Custom Sensors: Create your own sensors for customized monitoring
- Custom Notifications: Create your own notifications to send alarms to external systems
PRTG simplifies your day!
Our network monitoring software works for you and immediately lets you know when your databases are not working properly.
Then you can go about your day-to-day tasks with total peace of mind.
PRTG saves worry
Setting up PRTG is quick and easy. You can access as many sensors as you need to monitor your databases. And thanks to its 200+ predefined sensors, you'll have no trouble detecting the causes of crashes.
PRTG saves time
With PRTG, you get one central monitoring tool for monitoring your SQL databases and servers. Our dashboard provides a quick and concise overview at all times - whether on your desktop or as an app.
PRTG saves money
80% of our customers report substantial or even exceptional cost savings in the area of database monitoring. The experience of our customers shows that the costs for licenses have paid for themselves in an average of a few weeks.
Award winning solution
We work hard on making our software as powerful and easy-to-use
as possible for our customers each and every day.
Of course it makes us proud when we get awards for that.
from our knowledge base
Every day, our support team responds to questions from PRTG users. We aim to resolve every inquiry within 24 hours (on business days). Here are some of the most common questions regarding database performance monitoring:
PAESSLER AG –
Most administrators want to test a tool for free before deciding to make an investment.
The many advantages of PRTG:
1. Free trial version: Take the time to explore PRTG so you can determine if it satisfies your needs and meets your expectations. Once the trial is over, it’s easy to upgrade your already configured version of PRTG, which means you’re much less likely to make an incorrect purchase.
2. One tool, one overview: Administrators often use a variety of monitoring solutions for their network or for the individual components of their infrastructure. But using several different tools every time you want to create an overview costs time and energy. PRTG is an “all-in-one” solution. Our dashboard and app provide a comprehensive overview, whenever you want it.
3. Quick customer support: Got a question? Stuck on a problem and need a hand? PRTG is backed by a dedicated development and support team. We do our utmost to answer every customer inquiry within 24 hours (on business days). Browse all our support topics here.
Configure your PRTG today. The trial version is free of charge. Save time, worry, and money with our monitoring tool designed for your network and entire infrastructure.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 184.108.40.20695 (December 12th, 2017)|
|Download for Windows and cloud version (PRTG in the cloud) available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more...|
Supported Vendors & Applications