Comprehensive network throughput
monitoring with PRTG
Monitor network throughput
Identify and eliminate
Be notified in the event of performance bottlenecks
Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days. After 30 days, PRTG reverts to a free version.
Or, you can upgrade to a paid license anytime.
What is network throughput?
Network throughput refers to the amount of net data (i.e. without "overhead”) that can be transmitted by a network at any given point in time. It is usually displayed as an average and measured in bits per second (bps). Throughput is an important value for measuring the performance of a network connection. Large numbers of lost packets or errors during the transmission of messages eventually lead to lower throughput and drops in performance.
Why is network throughput monitoring important?
If your network is slow and sluggish, one of the first things you’ll want to look at is your network throughput. Together with bandwidth, throughput plays a vital role in the performance of a network.
PRTG shows you which applications, users, and protocols consume the most bandwidth. As a result, you can take specific actions to free up space.
By monitoring statistics, you’ll be able to tell if shutting down individual applications and users is enough, or if you need to acquire more bandwidth.
How does PRTG monitor network throughput?
PRTG monitors every aspect of your bandwidth.
Depending on your network and hardware, you can monitor using protocols such as SNMP, Flow, and packet sniffing.
Continuous monitoring in the background
The PRTG network monitoring tool runs in the background, monitoring the performance of your network without you having to do a thing. An easy-to-read user interface lets you check the status of your sensors at all times and confirm that everything is OK in the network.
PRTG not only provides a snapshot of network throughput and bandwidth consumption, but also lets you analyze historical data. Detailed statistics and charts show you if peak loads occur at regular intervals.
Throughput falls below a certain level? Available bandwidth is dangerously low? Network latency is repeatedly too high? Configure the PRTG alarm to catch all these situations. If one of your threshold values is exceeded, you’ll automatically be informed by email, SMS, or push notification.
How does PRTG test bandwidth?
PRTG lets you check whether your ISP is actually providing the amount of network throughput and bandwidth that you have paid for. The best way to do so is to generate periodic peak loads and measure performance with PRTG. One option is described here:
- Create three HTTP Advanced sensors, which access various 500 KB files from a variety of servers (e.g. your ISP’s static websites).
- Set a 5-minute interval and let the sensors run for a few hours.
- Keep an eye on the sensor’s measured values and charts.
If your bandwidth is advertised at 8 Mbps, it should take approximately 0.5 seconds to download a 500 KB file. If the connection is also used by others, you may see jitter on the graph. Otherwise the graph should resemble a straight line.
PRTG at a glance
PRTG monitors your entire IT infrastructure
Traffic, packets, applications, bandwidth, cloud services, databases, virtual environments, uptime, ports, IPs, hardware, security, web services, disk usage, physical environments, IoT devices and almost everything you can imagine.
PRTG supports most technologies
SNMP (all versions), Flow technologies (i.e. NetFlow, jFlow, sFlow), SSH, WMI, Ping, and SQL. Powerful API (Python, EXE, DLL, PowerShell, VB, Batch Scripting, REST) to integrate everything else. See all PRTG features
PAESSLER AG –
- Unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days
- After 30 days, PRTG reverts to a free version
- Or, you can upgrade to a paid license anytime
Administrators must compare monitoring tools or search for a free one. There are several suppliers on the market.
PRTG comes with a full range of advantages:
1. Free trial version: PRTG is available in a free trial version. Use this version to get a feel for our network monitoring tool with no risk whatsoever.
2. Over 200,000 administrators: whether in large or small businesses, authorities, colleges or administrations - all around the world, more than 200,000 administrators put their trust in our network monitoring tool, and can therefore also monitor their bandwidth. Read our case studies here.
3. Support: do you have a question? We respond in a jiffy! You can already access a great deal of information online by consulting our FAQs, manuals, videos, webcasts, or knowledge base. You can of course also send us a message. We'll do our best to get back to you within 24 hours on business days.
PRTG – your network monitoring tool
PRTG is the Paessler AG all-in-one network monitoring tool. Our software is used by more than 200,000 administrators worldwide, whether it be to monitor their hardware- and server performance , their virtual environments, or the accessibility of their websites. Use PRTG for database monitoring or sql monitoring. PRTG is a one fits all network analyzer tool.
Save time, worry, and money. PRTG is configured in a matter of minutes. The trial version is offered free of charge. And you can upgrade whenever you like.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 22.214.171.1242 (October 29th, 2019)|
|Download for Windows and hosted version available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications