Know what you’re looking for?
- Setting up a free syslog server with PRTG
- PRTG captures and processes the following data
- Is PRTG the right tool for you? It depends...
- Your options: Free server monitoring or a license?
- Got a few sensors left to spare? Set up some lightweight yet effective network monitoring
- Convince your CTO with the following 3 reports
- PRTG is compatible with all the major manufacturers
Setting up a free syslog server with PRTG
Syslog is a standard for sending log messages within a network. It is supported by a variety of devices.
The syslog protocol provides a wide range of system info, thus syslog monitoring is an important part of network monitoring.
What is a sensor?
In PRTG, “sensors” are the basic monitoring elements. One sensor usually monitors one measured value in your network, e.g. the traffic of a switch port, the CPU load of a server, the free space of a disk drive. On average you need about 5-10 sensors per device or one sensor per switch port.
As network monitoring software, PRTG lets you capture and monitor syslog messages. To do so, simply create a centralized Syslog Receiver Sensor in PRTG. This sensor captures and analyzes the contents of all the messages that are sent to PRTG. If an error occurs or your threshold values are exceeded, you’ll be notified at once. PRTG thus acts as your syslog server.
Another possibility: first add each sender as a device, then install a Syslog Receiver Sensor in each of these new devices. With this option, you’ll put a lot less strain on your CPU. On the other hand, you’ll need more sensors for it to work. That means your 100 free sensors may not be enough for in-depth monitoring.
Video tutorial: Setting up a syslog server
Syslog server: PRTG captures and processes the following data
Upon receiving syslog messages, PRTG displays all relevant information with regard to the message, including the IP address from which the message was sent, the time of the message, and the message itself.
PRTG also analyzes the severity level to check for potential emergencies. This level ranges from “0” (emergency) to “7” (debug). PRTG even reads and processes the facility code. As a result, you can immediately identify the type of message that was sent.
Syslog stands for System Logging Protocol and is a standard protocol used to send system log or event messages to a specific server, called a syslog server. It is primarily used to collect various device logs from several different machines in a central location for monitoring and review. The protocol is enabled on most network equipment such as routers, switches, firewalls, and even some printers and scanners. In addition, syslog is available on Unix and Linux based systems and many web servers including Apache.
Is PRTG the right tool for you? It depends...
Scenario 1: You'd like to, but...
Many sysadmins would like to use a professional network monitoring tool but don’t have the budget to do so. Getting higher-ups to free up the necessary funds can be both time-consuming and stressful. Often it’s a whole lot easier just to use a free tool. PRTG makes this possible. It comes with 100 free sensors that never expire.
Scenario 2: Sometimes a small tool does the trick
Other sysadmins are in charge of relatively small networks. For them, PRTG might be a bit too much. Nevertheless, these sysadmins may discover that the free version, which can function as a Windows syslog server while offering sensors to spare, is the perfect solution.
Scenario 3: The home network
Ever sit at home in front of your computer and wonder how to set up a syslog server for your home network? You’re not alone. Many sysadmins also want reliable software for their homes. PRTG can be used as a syslog server for any network.
Your options: Free server monitoring or a license?
Server monitoring freeware
You’re welcome to try the full version of PRTG for 30 days for free. After the first month, you can continue to use 100 sensors for as long as you like. For each of your devices, you’ll need around 10 sensors. The 100 free sensors are yours to choose however you please. These sensors often suffice for setting up basic server monitoring. If you have a small network, then the free version may be all you ever need. What’s more, the alarm and reports features are included.
PRTG offers a variety of different licenses. Each of these licenses gives you access to a specific number of sensors. If you need more sensors, you can simply upgrade your license. Any existing monitoring will remain unchanged. Many sysadmins start out with the free trial version. This lets you get a feel for the monitoring tool with no strings attached.
Keep a constant eye on your network – even while on the go
PRTG can be started within minutes and it's compatible with many mobile devices.
Got a few sensors left to spare? Set up some lightweight yet effective network monitoring
How much traffic passes through your network? When and where do spikes in traffic occur? How does your traffic change over time? PRTG tells you all this and more. As a result, you can take all the necessary precautions to ensure your network is running at optimal capacity. More on bandwidth monitoring with PRTG.
Trusted by 500,000 users and recognized
by industry analysts as a leader
Your new syslog server is up and running, but you want more? Convince your CTO with the following three reports.
Is your network more up or down? This report is an absolute must, for whenever your network is down, productivity and sales suffer. More on uptime monitoring
PRTG monitors both open and closed ports. Port monitoring plays a vital role in ensuring malware (such as Trojans) does not infiltrate your network. Without monitoring software, it’s next to impossible to keep an eye on all your open ports.
Top 10 Talkers report
What’s going on with the traffic in your network? In particular, which departments are generating the most? To find out, simply pull up the PRTG Top 10 Talkers report. PRTG provides real-time updates on the goings-on of your network – and promptly notifies you in the event of sudden and drastic changes.
By the way: PRTG is compatible with all the major manufacturers
- Monitor Cisco devices: PRTG comes equipped with preconfigured sensors for Cisco devices. Use the Cisco IP SLA Sensor for VoIP applications, and the NetFlow and IPFIX sensors to monitor traffic. PRTG also captures the syslog files of Cisco devices. More on Cisco monitoring with PRTG
- Monitor HP devices: Do you use HP servers, switches, or printers? PRTG reliably monitors all your HP hardware by way of SNMP sensors (among others). More on HP monitoring with PRTG
- Monitor virtual environments: Hyper-V, VMware, Citrix...with PRTG, you get all the sensors you need to monitor your virtual environments. Above all, be sure to keep a close eye on your virtual servers.
PRTG: The Swiss Army knife for sysadminsAdapt PRTG individually and dynamically to your needs relying on a strong API:
- HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects using HTTP requests
- Custom Sensors: Create your own sensors for customized monitoring
- Custom Notifications: Create your own notifications to send alarms to external systems
- REST Custom Sensor: Monitor almost everything that provides XML or JSON
Over 95% of our customers recommend PRTG
Paessler AG worldwide trialled PRTG in over 600 IT departments.
The aim was to tune the network monitoring software closer to the needs of the administrators.
The result of the survey: over 95% of the participants would recommend PRTG - or already had.
What's the difference between
PRTG Network Monitor & PRTG Enterprise Monitor?
is the right solution for you if
- you need to monitor up to about 500 to 1,000 devices
- knowing every detail about network and infrastructure is your main requirement
- you need one easy-to-use monitoring tool for a small or midsize IT environment
Fully functional 30-day trial version
is the right solution for you if
- you need to monitor more than 1,000 devices
- you are looking for a management overview in addition to all the details
- you are responsible for a large and distributed IT environment
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 126.96.36.1996 (December 1st, 2021)|
|Download for Windows and cloud-based version PRTG Hosted Monitor available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications