How to set up
PRTG Desktop Notifications
in 3 steps
- The PRTG Desktop App is an alternative interface that you can use to connect to the PRTG core server to configure your setup, view monitoring results, and keep an eye on your network.
- It is a cross-platform application for fast access to data and monitoring management. This does not mean that you have to constantly open PRTG Desktop to see if there are any new alarms.
- Besides the notifications you already know from the PRTG web interface, PRTG offers special Desktop Notifications that help to keep you up to date in the case of new alarms, log entries, or tickets.
You decide and define what PRTG Desktop
will do if there are new alarms.
Tray icon *
Enable this setting for a tray icon to appear in the Windows tray. Hover over the tray icon to see the most important status information about your monitoring at a glance
* Note: The tray icon option is what actually allows you to use
Desktop Notifications at all in PRTG Desktop. If you do not enable it,
you cannot use any of these notifications
Setting for a tray icon to
appear in the Windows tray
Desktop notifications in
the event of new alarms
Open the Desktop Notification settings
From the Windows Menu of PRTG Desktop, choose File | Settings | Notifications to open the Desktop Notification Settings.
Show tray icon
By default, the setting Show the tray icon is disabled. Enable this setting
for a PRTG icon to appear in the Windows tray. The PRTG icon becomes
an alert icon if there are alarms that trigger a notification.
Overview of all servers
Click the tray icon to open an alarms overview where you
see the status of all of your configured servers at a glance.
Overview of a selected server
Click a server in the list to see the alarms
overview for the selected server only.
Open alarms tab
Click an alarm to open the Alarms tab in PRTG Desktop. If a server has no alarms, clicking it opens the Devices tab of PRTG Desktop. Right-clicking the tray icon opens a context menu with more functions.
The setting Automatically start the tray at system startup
is only available if you enable the tray icon option above.
The settings Show notifications for down status/warning status are only available if you enable the tray icon option above. Enable these settings to receive alerts for sensors in a Down, a Down (Partial), or a Warning status.
- Minimum priority: Select a number of stars to define a minimum priority that sensors must have for notifications to be shown
- This setting refers to the defined priority of a sensor, which is shown next to a sensor’s name
- Notification Sound: Play an audible notification sound. The default is No sound. PRTG Desktop already comes with a small set of sounds you can choose from. If you want to use a customized sound, select Choose a custom file… and upload your own WAV file from your hard disk drive
Play a sound when there are no more sensors
in a down or warning status
- Step 1: Open the Desktop Notification settings
- Step 2: Show the tray icon to enable Desktop Notifications. Optionally, you can choose if you want the tray icon to blink when there are new notifications or choose to automatically start the tray at system startup
- Step 3: Select the states that you want to receive notifications for and also the minimum priority a sensor needs to trigger an alert
- Step 4: Select a notification sound if you want to be alerted by a sound as well
- Step 5: Test your notification settings
- Step 6: Review your work – If you get too many notifications, you might need to change for example the minimum priority that triggers an alert