Free printer monitoring & management with PRTG
- Monitor everything: paper, toner, errors & more
- Prevent interruptions: anticipate problems before they occur
- See the big picture: know the status of every printer at one glance
- Easy setup: automatically discover all printers
PRTG printer monitoring prevents unnecessary interruptions
Printer errors happen at the worst times
You're trying to finish that business letter before the end of the day. Or you only have minutes to complete that contract when you're interrupted – the Replace Cartridge printer error message hits you at the worst moment.
Paessler PRTG runs in the background and alerts you when:
- Toner and paper are almost running out
- A designated total number of pages have been printed
- The printer is approaching its life expectancy
Printers disrupt employee workflows
Employees must frequently step away from their work to worry about whether the printer is ready and if there is sufficient toner – and administrators are constantly bothered to check this on-site.
PRTG makes life easier for admins by:
- Displaying the status of every printer on the network
- Proactively notifying of relevant status changes
- Delivering piece of mind
8 reasons to use PRTG as your printer management tool
Easy setup with auto-discovery
PRTG automatically finds all printers on the corporate network – even in remote locations.
Toner and cartridges always filled
You'll always have sufficient toner and filled cartridges with early warning before it's needed.
Anticipates & minimizes problems
Administrators see errors and printer response problems even before affected employees.
Faster problem solving
Direct and targeted information about errors means that you don't need to depend on error-prone descriptions by phone.
Easier printer replacement
Plan replacements in a timely, controlled manner with alerts to the lifetime expectancy of printed page quality.
Centrally organize the replacement of toner and cartridges with timely alerts on their status.
Eliminates sources of error
Information on the status of the printer cover eliminates the Printer Cover Not Closed error source.
PRTG can be used on any mobile device so you can monitor printers anywhere on the go.
PRTG is compatible with all major vendors & manufacturers
PRTG captures the most important data
Total number of
PRTG displays the number of pages already printed since the printer was commissioned.
Printer & toner cartridge fill level
You'll always know the actual fill level of printer and toner cartridges.
You can eliminate the Printer Cover Not Closed error source.
You'll always know about the current printer status and any error messages displayed.
PRTG makes your job easier
Our monitoring software frees you to focus on other tasks by promptly notifying you of potential issues.
PRTG gives you one central monitoring tool for your servers and entire network. Enjoy a quick overview of your whole infrastructure via our dashboard and app.
Getting started with PRTG is a breeze. Setting up or switching from another network monitoring tool is easy thanks to the auto-discovery and pre-configured device templates.
Steffen Ille, Bauhaus-University of Weimar, Germany
“The greatest advantage of PRTG? You get to rest easy.“
Steffen Ille, Bauhaus-University of Weimar, Germany
“Easy to implement and configure with good technical support.”
R. v. S., ICT Manager at Heinen & Hopman Eng BV
Create innovative solutions with Paessler's IT partners
Partnering with innovative IT vendors, Paessler unleashes synergies to create new and additional benefits for joined customers.
Quick alerting with customizable notifications
PRTG comes with various built-in notification methods: Email, SMS, push notification, Microsoft Teams message, Slack message, or even running an external application – you specify when and how the responsible person or team will be informed. Simply add contacts and edit, delete, or pause your notifications at any time.
The notification system is built into the monitoring software and is available at no extra charge. Because of its integrated quality, configuring the alert feature takes just a few clicks.
PRTG proactively alerts you if something is wrong in your network based on your defined thresholds. The moment metrics exceed or fall below a certain value, you'll receive a notification. This means you can intervene immediately and even before clients or coworkers are aware of any problems.
PRTG helps you do more:
- DISK SPACE MONITORING: PRTG checks your hard disks and other storage devices and displays all memory capacities on one dashboard. Monitoring NAS devices of vendors like Synology or storage area networks (SAN) is also possible.
- UPTIME MONITORING: PRTG checks the availability of all servers and makes sure that all your services run smoothly. If any of your monitored network devices, applications, or services go down, you are alerted immediately.
- COMPUTER MONITORING: PRTG automatically collects all relevant data of your workstations like CPU utilization, operating temperature, or memory usage. Be in control of your network computers and prevent costly outages.
PRTG: The multi-tool for sysadminsAdapt PRTG individually and dynamically to your needs and rely on a strong API:
- HTTP API: Access monitoring data and manipulate monitoring objects via HTTP requests
- Custom sensors: Create your own PRTG sensors for customized monitoring
- Custom notifications: Create your own notifications and send action triggers to external systems
- REST Custom sensor: Monitor almost everything that provides data in XML or JSON format
Printer monitoring FAQs
In PRTG, “sensors” are the basic monitoring elements. One sensor usually monitors one measured value in your network, for example the traffic of a switch port, the CPU load of a server, or the free space on a disk drive.
On average, you need about 5-10 sensors per device or one sensor per switch port.
SNMP stands for Simple Network Monitoring Protocol. It is a protocol for management information transfer in networks, particularly for use in LANs. PRTG uses SNMP for various network monitoring purposes, for example, you can monitor the status of your printers via SNMP with the SNMP Printer sensor.
You should monitor the following aspects in your printers:
- Materials like the fill status of paper, ink cartridges, and toner cartridges
- Mechanical and technical issues like paper jams
- Performance of network printers
- Printer maintenance statistics
- Checking the print behavior regarding, for example, the number of color prints
In 3D printing, a three-dimensional object is constructed based on a 3D model in digital form. Usually, the material needed is added or 'printed' layer by layer.
Still not convinced?
More than 500,000
sysadmins love PRTG
Paessler PRTG is used by companies of all sizes. Sysadmins love PRTG because it makes their job a whole lot easier.
Monitor your entire IT infrastructure
Bandwidth, servers, virtual environments, websites, VoIP services – PRTG keeps an eye on your entire network.
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 184.108.40.2063 (September 20th, 2023)|
|Download for Windows and cloud-based version PRTG Hosted Monitor available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications