PRTG Manual: Enter a License Key
A license key for PRTG Network Monitor consists of the License Name and a License Key. The key is a string that consists of 8 blocks with 5 characters each.
This only applies to PRTG on premises instances, not to PRTG in the cloud.
You have received the License Name and the License Key from Paessler via email or in a license document on Paessler shop. Please copy this information and insert it when PRTG asks you to about your license information in the setup dialog.
You will find the label License Owner in some documents from the Paessler shop. License Owner is the same as License Name for which you will be asked while installing PRTG or when you change your license key.
For the Trial and Freeware editions, you will receive the required license information on the Paessler webpage when you download the trial or freeware version of PRTG. For a commercial edition, use your commercial license information.
Example of License Information
License Name: John Q. Public
During the setup process, PRTG will ask you to enter your license information. Please use copy and paste to fill out the form in the installer dialog.
- Trial/Freeware license key: When entering a Trial license key, you can experience unlimited functionality of PRTG during the 30-day trial period. Your installation automatically switches to a Freeware Edition afterwards. For details about how to get your free Trial edition, please see Download PRTG section.
- Commercial license key: You can only enter this key if you have purchased a commercial license. Your installation allows the number of sensors according to your license.
Usually you do not need to enter a key manually after the installation to activate it, because PRTG asks for it during the install process. However, there are still scenarios where you need to change your key and activate this license. You have to provide your commercial license key, for example, if you have purchased a PRTG Commercial Edition and want to upgrade your running PRTG Freeware or Trial installation, or if you upgrade an existing commercial license to a higher edition.
- To enter a new license key, log in to the PRTG web interface.
- Choose Setup | License from the main menu bar.
- Click Change License Key.
- The Update Your License page appears where you can activate your new license.
- Choose the activation type Automatic (online activation with optional HTTP proxy) if your PRTG server can connect to the internet.
Without internet access, you have to choose Manual (offline activation). The activation process works a bit different in this case and requires manual interactions.
- Provide your license information and click Update License.
- PRTG will connect to the Paessler activation server via SSL on port 443 and validate your license.
- If everything works fine, you will see the message Activation was successful as License Status on top of the page.
For details, see manual section PRTG Status—Licensing Status and Settings: Update Your License.
The PRTG core server needs an internet connection on port 443 to activate. If a proxy connection is needed, please configure it in Step 3: Activate on the Update Your License page. If activation fails, you can also try an offline activation.
This option is not available in PRTG in the cloud.
Update Your License: Click Change License Key
Video Tutorial: PRTG License and Maintenance
Video Tutorial: PRTG Sensor Count and License Upgrade
Knowledge Base: How do I upgrade to a higher edition of PRTG?