Monitoring Your Local Area Network (LAN) with PRTG
PRTG Network Monitor is a LAN monitor that helps you stay on top of everything that happens in your company network. LAN monitoring includes not only checking for outages of network devices but also monitoring network performance and usage of network resources.
A LAN monitor is essential to monitoring network activity and ensuring the success of your company and the security of your organization's information. PRTG is a network and server monitor that can automatically detect and respond to threats and performance issues in real time, as well as help prevent possible issues in the future.
Examples of uses of the LAN Network monitor
- Network bandwidth monitor: you can see in real time how much bandwidth is being used and identify bottlenecks
- Network server monitor: the LAN monitor controls if the server is up and running, the server's CPU load, temperature etc.
- VoIP monitor: check packet loss, jitter noise, etc
- Web monitoring: check if your website is available
How does the LAN monitor work?
PRTG uses SNMP, Packet Sniffing and NetFlow monitoring.
- SNMP monitor: SNMP network monitoring is one of the most commonly used technologies when it comes to network monitoring. It is easy to set up and requires only minimal bandwidth and CPU cycles.
- Packet Sniffing: Packet sniffing is another method employed by the LAN monitor: with its built-in IP packet sniffer PRTG can inspect all network data packets travelling in your LAN to calculate bandwidth traffic.
- NetFlow Monitoring: For monitoring Cisco devices, PRTG supports the NetFlow protocol.
However, PRTG is more than a LAN Network Monitor. Apart from monitoring servers and workstations in your local area network, PRTG can also monitor devices in your WAN (wide area network) or in other networks using remote probes.
PRTG LAN Monitor
PRTG Lan Network Monitor is available in two editions. For basic, free bandwidth tracking functionality, the Freeware Edition may be downloaded and used for personal and commercial use completely free of charge.
Need more sensors to monitor a larger IT infrastructure? See our commercial licenses here.
Apart from PRTG LAN Monitor, Paessler offers also stress and performance test freeware.
|Download||Network Monitoring Software for Windows - Version 15.3.18 (August 18, 2015)|
|Languages||English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Czech, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Pricing||Free for up to 100 sensors (Price List)|
|Unified Monitoring||Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more|