What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe as a gateway

Votes:

We are investigating if PRTG is suitable for us. We are external sysadmins for different companies (SMB) and every remote network has like 5-7 virtual servers which has to be monitored.

Is it prossible to install 1 remote probe on a remote virtual machine and let the probe scan its internal segment to add member servers through WMI? Or is it mandatory to install a remote probe on every external virtual server? I searched the FAQ etc, but did not find any similar questions.

Thank u for your time in advance

gateway probe remote-probe

Created on Jun 10, 2013 1:04:38 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

For most of the errors that you see for WMI, we have an article here for help troubleshooting. Also, you can download our WMI Tester to see if you are having issues connecting from that server to the other via WMI.

If the sensor is created on the Remote probe, it will be the one querying the other server for WMI requests.

Created on Jun 10, 2013 2:43:14 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

The Remote Probes can be used as remote scanners for multiple other servers. As long as there is connectivity between the Core Server and the Remote Probe and the Remote Probe and the devices that are being monitored, the Remote Probe will scan for the sensors that you set up on it and then relay the data back to the Core for graphing and display.

With the Remote Probe you can use any of the sensors that we have available. More info can be found here

Created on Jun 10, 2013 1:47:46 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Greg, thank u for your answer. When i try to add a device under the group of the remote probe, it cannot connect to the WMI. I do think PRTG tries to connect from the core server to the member server on a external network, instead of connecting to the remote server through the remote probe (the connection between the remote probe and the member server are not restricted by firewall) It gives the error: Port Error : RPC Server not accessible. - Host: INTERNALADRESS, User: USER, Password: **, Domain: ntlmdomain:DOMAIN

Am I doing something wrong? How can I be sure the WMI connection is initiated from the remote probe? (there doesn't seem te be a option for that??)

Created on Jun 10, 2013 2:10:35 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

For most of the errors that you see for WMI, we have an article here for help troubleshooting. Also, you can download our WMI Tester to see if you are having issues connecting from that server to the other via WMI.

If the sensor is created on the Remote probe, it will be the one querying the other server for WMI requests.

Created on Jun 10, 2013 2:43:14 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

you'e right! (offcourse :) ) after some trouble with windows firewall , we succeeded to monitor other servers from the probe. everything seems fine so far!

thank you

Created on Jun 17, 2013 2:33:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.