Bandwidth Traffic Monitor
Network Usage And Bandwidth Traffic Monitoring Made Easy
PRTG Network Monitor is an easy to use Windows software for monitoring and classifying bandwidth traffic usage. It provides system administrators with live readings and long-term usage trends for their network devices. The most common usage is bandwidth management, but you can also monitor many other aspects of your network like memory and CPU utilizations.
Monitoring Helps You To Optimize Your Network
With PRTG Network Monitor you will receive bandwidth, performance network usage and availability data that helps to optimize the efficiency of your network. Understanding bandwidth traffic and resource consumption is the key to better network management:
- Avoid bandwidth and server performance bottlenecks
- Find out what applications or what servers cause the bandwidth traffic
- Deliver better quality of service to your users by being proactive
- Reduce costs by buying bandwidth and hardware according to actual load
Freeware Edition and Commercial Editions
The Freeware Edition of PRTG Network Monitor is completely free for personal and commercial use and may be downloaded for free. The Commercial Editions are required if you want to monitor more than 10 sensors. Licenses for our bandwidth usage software start at $400/€300.
See How Bandwidth Usage Monitoring Works
PRTG Network Monitor is running on a Windows machine in your network for 24 hours every day and constantly records the bandwidth traffic parameters. The recorded data is stored in an internal database for later reference.
Using an easy to use Windows interface you can configure the monitored sensors as well as create bandwidth usage reports. For remote access PRTG Network Monitor comes with a built-in web server to provide access to graphs and tables.
All common methods for bandwidth traffic data acquisition are supported:
- SNMP: Simple Network Management Protocol is the basic method of gathering network and bandwidth usage data. It can be used to monitor bandwidth traffic of routers and switches port-by-port as well as device readings like memory, CPU load etc. Go to animation....
- Packet Sniffing: With its built-in capability for Packet Sniffing PRTG can inspect all network data packets travelling in your LAN or WLAN to calculate the bandwidth usage. Go to animation....
- NetFlow: The NetFlow protocol is supported by most Cisco routers to measure bandwidth usage. Although being the most complex type to set up it is also the most powerful method suitable for high traffic networks. Go to animation....
Using Packet Sniffing and NetFlow monitoring PRTG can optionally calculate the bandwidth traffic per IP address or port, e.g. to show the current Top Talkers, Top Connections and Top Protocols of your network. PRTG's freeware also includes a free network sniffer.
This free network monitoring software runs on all Windows versions and works with most network products from Cisco, HP, 3Com, Linksys, Nortel, etc., and with various other devices (e.g. Windows PCs or network printers). More features...