What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do the new Exchange POWERSHELL sensors require a remote probe?

Votes:

I have installed the version 13.3.5.2794 but I cannot see the new exchange (PS) sensors.

exchange powershell remote-probe

Created on Aug 15, 2013 7:38:31 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You do not need to run the new Exchange PS sensors with a Remote Probe, they are run through remote PS.

Not being able to see the new sensors in PRTG is usually the result of one of the groups that the user is a part of not having access to the new sensors. You can look at the groups that the user belongs to and check the Users May Create These Sensor Types field to see which sensors they have access to.

There you will likely find that one of the groups they belong to does not have that sensor type checked and you are only allowed access to the sensors which are allowed in ALL the groups you belong to. Since PRTG does not automatically give access to new sensor types in case they should not be allowed, this is not set by default for new sensors.

Created on Aug 15, 2013 8:33:58 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That was totally it. Thanks!

Created on Aug 15, 2013 8:37:48 PM

Votes:

I have an error when trying to add a new PS sensor:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. at ExchangeSensorPS.Program.Main(String[] args

Created on Aug 19, 2013 3:31:39 PM

Votes:

Is Powershell v1 installed on the system? It looks like that may be the issue from looking up that error code:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970302

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17053786/2-0-version-of-system-management-automation

Created on Aug 20, 2013 9:47:18 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I had a similar issue, however as we have 2016 now powershell v1 isn´t an option. But here (http://www.admin-enclave.com/en/articles/exchange/274-hp-data-protector-is-not-able-to-browse-an-exchange-2016-dag.html) was mentioned powershell 2.0 is including powershell 1.0 so i solved my issue with the installation from powershell 2.0 (regardless of the error message which mentioned a version 1.0.x).

Created on Sep 19, 2016 5:27:54 PM

Votes:

What exactly isn't working for you? Are you unable to create the sensor in the first place or do you get a connection error when the sensor is created?

Created on Sep 20, 2016 11:00:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.