What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using SSL with custom URL

Votes:

To allow external access, I have enabled SSL using the standard port (443) on a dedicated IP and using a trusted (godaddy) certificate. This is all working well and good except for one small issue. If I double click on the "PRTG Network Monitor (Default Browser)" desktop icon created during the PRTG server installation, it takes me to https://<server IP>/home instead of https://<custom URL>/home. This obviously causes a certificate error in the browser since the site URL and the certificate CN do not match. Also, on the PRTG System Status page, the "Web server URL" value under "System Settings" shows the same incorrect URL (IP instead of URL).

I've configured "PRTG Site Name" and "DNS Name" under "Webserver and Website Settings" with the correct site name(my.site.com), but this did not resolve the issue (I did a stop/start). I also edited the "Sitename" registry value located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Server\Webserver with the correct name, but this didn't work either.

I realize this issues only affects clicking on the desktop/startmenu shortcut, and if I manually type in the address or create my own custom shortcut, I can easily workaround the issue. I was just wondering if this is a known issue and if there are any plans to address it in a future release.

settings ssl url

Created on Jun 28, 2013 5:07:39 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. The GUI-Starter uses the IP (of the webserver) that is set in the registry, which is then a local IP (of the NIC to which the webserver is bound to). Using a server domain there is currently not planned, but I did forward your feedback!
For the time being, please use a separate shortcut to open the browser with the PRTG webinterface.

best regards.

Created on Jul 2, 2013 11:33:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.