What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Last Windows update sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I am trying to add the Last Windows Update Sensor and I keep getting the same error:

Requested registry access is not allowed.

The servers are running Windows 2008, 2008 R2, SBS 2011. Windows updates are set to download automatically but install manually. I can confirm that the firewall is off, the Probe software version is V12.2.1.2041 The probe uses windows administrative domain credentials.

Many Thanks

update-check windows-2008-r2-sp1 wmi

Created on Nov 13, 2012 2:56:08 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important note: The Windows Last Update (Remote Registry) sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Created on Mar 21, 2016 4:55:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please make sure that the "Remote Registry Service" is running on the target system. Please also consider updating to the latest version of PRTG (12.4.6).

best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2012 1:51:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paul,

In addition to what Torsten already mentioned, please also check the credentials the sensor is running on. You can set these credentials on the parent device under "Credentials for Windows Systems"

Regards,

Created on Nov 13, 2012 2:11:33 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I have tried different domain administrative credentials and the Remote Registry service is running but the error still exists.

Many Thanks

Created on Nov 16, 2012 1:02:24 AM

Votes:

same here, core server is not in domain of the servers which are monitored. But the windows update sensors always worked and now it's saying that the credentials aren't correct. This was one of the main features why we bought PRTG.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 4:26:10 PM

Votes:

Please consider then using Remote Probes to run the sensor within one domain.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 5:06:08 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Credentials used need to be valid on both your PRTG server (or probe) AND the target machine.

The sensor first uses these credentials locally to create a security token. Next this token is used targeting the remote machine, that’s why the credentials need to be valid on the remote machine also.

• Being on a domain, using a domain account will be the easiest way to accomplish this, as a domain account is usually valid on every machine in the domain and you don't need to worry about password changes.
  • Outside a domain you need to use a username and password that are identical on both probe and target. So make sure that username x with password y is valid on probe and target. When you decide to change the password, keep in mind that this has to be done on every machine that uses the credentials in case.

Username and Password are entered in the Windows Credentials of the parent device. If not both probe and target are in a domain, leave the domain field empty and use local credentials.

Regards,

Created on Nov 19, 2012 6:18:58 PM

Votes:

Hi Gerard,

I can confirm that the credentials are set on the probe, other sensors are working correctly such as cpu and memory for the same server that is having last windows updates issues.

Please can you give a list of registry permission's and folder permission's so I can check against other working servers within the same domain.

Many thanks

Created on Nov 20, 2012 11:52:39 PM

Votes:

Hi Paul,

The sensor checks registry key

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install

and uses the value from the "LastSuccessTime"

Regards,

Created on Nov 21, 2012 7:51:38 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important note: The Windows Last Update (Remote Registry) sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Created on Mar 21, 2016 4:55:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.