What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Wildcards for Group Level Authentication?

Votes:

In regards to 'Credentials for Windows Systems' - Do you have to enter a "wildcard" in the server / domain name at the group level in order to authenticate against individual server names vs a domain name?

I'd like to do this at the group level so I don't have to do it to each individual server monitor. I read through the user manual but didn't see anything that went in depth to how this worked. i.e. If you leave it blank it will automatically authenticate against the server name vs the domain.

Thanks!

authentication credentials group windows

Created on Jun 28, 2012 1:50:17 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello

you could try entering a

only (period only) on group level and then inherit this. This may work as a wildcard.

best regards.

Created on Jun 29, 2012 1:07:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 29, 2012 1:08:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the input. We are having this problem in regards to WMI authentication - https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/203-how-can-i-monitor-wmi-sensors-if-the-target-machine-is-not-part-of-a-domain

However, it seems that regardless what we put in the 'Windows Credentials' (localhost or . and the proper login username and password) section it never takes because we are still seeing authentication errors in the event logs.

I changed the PRTG Probe service to run under a domain administrator account then went back and adjusted the 'Window Credentials' for each server individually and still see authentication errors in the event logs.

Is there a setting or something I'm missing to force the monitor to use the specified 'Window Credentials' versus the PRTG Probe service user account?

Thanks!

Created on Jun 29, 2012 1:14:31 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.