What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

what does access denied by IP filter mean?

Votes:

I did the install of the remote probe installer on a server and did the set up to the remote probe to start monitoring servers in a different domain, copied and paste the access key from the PRTG web interface. On the core server it was set up to accept connection from remote probes on all IPs. On the PRTG web interface the probe connections were set up to allow IPs = Any. After all this I was looking for the notification on the web interface to accept the remote probe but i never got it on the ToDos section, so i went back and check the logs for the PRTG Network Monitor Probe Administrator Tool and here is what i got:

5/31/2012 11:21:05 AM Connected to XXX.XXX.XX.X:23560
5/31/2012 11:21:05 AM Login NOT OK: Access denied by IP filter!
5/31/2012 11:21:05 AM Try again at 5/31/2012 4:26:06 PM
5/31/2012 11:21:06 AM Connected
5/31/2012 11:21:06 AM Wait till 5/31/2012 4:26:06 PM
5/31/2012 11:21:06 AM Send Login

Thanks in advance.

access-denied ip- prtg

Created on May 31, 2012 4:26:14 PM

Last change on May 31, 2012 5:31:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Please check your filters for probe connections from within the Web GUI. From the message it would seem the respective filter is not allowed to connect to the core.

Please see Remote Probe Setup -> Settings in Web Interface

Created on May 31, 2012 5:32:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply, the remote probe it is now connected and monitoring other system. The issue there was that on the allowed IPs on the Web GUI I enter the word "Any" (it is supposed to work however it did not) and to resolve it I had to enter the actual IP address for the remote server. Now the problem is that the sensors for the devices that are being connected are limited, and when trying to install "CPU load" sensor for example i get this error:

Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied - Host: XXX.XX.XX.XX, User: vbarra, Password: **, Domain: ntlmdomain:xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.org) (code: PE015)

Created on Jun 4, 2012 7:48:52 PM

Votes:

It appears that when I delete a probe in the web GUI, PRTG adds an exclusion for that probe's IP address in the Denied IP's field. As a result, if I have several probes at a client site (typically one for each server) I cannot delete one without disconnecting the rest of them. This bug bit me this morning after a windows update forced a reboot of some machines.

It would be great if PRTG did not have to delete a probe by denying the IP address.

Created on Feb 13, 2013 4:50:53 PM

Votes:

Hi,
PRTG is putting the probe IP on the deny list due to security reasons. This behavior cannot be changed. Sorry.
You might just remove the IP address from the deny list after deleting the probe. Best regards

Created on Feb 13, 2013 7:21:10 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.