What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom SNMP Alarm value

Votes:

Hi,

I'm monitoring Juniper SRX100 routers. I'd like to have alerting for the LED status of theses devices. The LEd can be Green, Yellow or Red.I know how to pool the status, witch is a numeric value for Yellow and an other for Red. So for Green condition, no alarm I get :

jnxYellowAlarmState.0 = 2
jnxRedAlarmState.0 = 2

If problem occur on the device, the values change to 3 (Looks like 0 or 1 have meaning).

I'd like to get, in the interface, not by a notification, a way to "see" the "3" value as an alarm or a warning, (when, by filtering only Alarms or Warning). In a perfect way, a warning condition raised for "3" in the Yellow counter and an alarm one for "3" in the Red counter.

alarm snmp value warning

Created on Mar 28, 2012 10:03:18 AM

Last change on Mar 28, 2012 2:35:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In fact, I don't know how to pull 2 values within one sensor... so yes I was planning to make one sensor for each. But ...

I browsed the Kb this afternoon, and find some info for my need, in the channel section. Until now, the channel section was useless for me, but now I have ticked the 'enable limits' and found the "hidden" fields for Warning and Error limits triggering.

I tried to rise the Error and Warning with theses Limits fields and it's ok. Lately I found two others OID to get, not the state of the Leds, but the count of the errors. So, indirectly, if the number of Yellow error is above 0 the Led is ON and Yellow. The same for the Red.

It's not entierly true, as the LED can be switch off remotely, but finally, the error count is even better for supervising the network.

So : 1 sensor to pull the Yellow error count OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.2.2.0) 1 sensor to pull the Red error count OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.3.2.0) For the Yellow, activated the Channel Limits Warning for above 0 For the Red, activated the Channel Limits Error for above 0

If you think I used the "good" method, the case is over.

But if you can lead me to the info about pulling 2 or more OID with one sensor, i'll be happy ! It's something I'm wondering how to do.

Thanks. Pierre

Created on Mar 28, 2012 3:22:02 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

do you use different sensors to pull these values?

best regards.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 2:36:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In fact, I don't know how to pull 2 values within one sensor... so yes I was planning to make one sensor for each. But ...

I browsed the Kb this afternoon, and find some info for my need, in the channel section. Until now, the channel section was useless for me, but now I have ticked the 'enable limits' and found the "hidden" fields for Warning and Error limits triggering.

I tried to rise the Error and Warning with theses Limits fields and it's ok. Lately I found two others OID to get, not the state of the Leds, but the count of the errors. So, indirectly, if the number of Yellow error is above 0 the Led is ON and Yellow. The same for the Red.

It's not entierly true, as the LED can be switch off remotely, but finally, the error count is even better for supervising the network.

So : 1 sensor to pull the Yellow error count OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.2.2.0) 1 sensor to pull the Red error count OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.3.2.0) For the Yellow, activated the Channel Limits Warning for above 0 For the Red, activated the Channel Limits Error for above 0

If you think I used the "good" method, the case is over.

But if you can lead me to the info about pulling 2 or more OID with one sensor, i'll be happy ! It's something I'm wondering how to do.

Thanks. Pierre

Created on Mar 28, 2012 3:22:02 PM

Votes:

Hi,

The (Yellow/Red)AlarmState can hold 3 values:

1 = Unknown
2 = Off
3 = On

If you create two snmp sensors, one for the jnxYellowAlarmState (with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.2.1) and one for the jnxRedAlarmState (with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.4.2.3.1) you can use the channels tab of each individual sensor to set the warning and error limit.

I.E. set the upper warning limit for the jnxYellowAlarmState sensor to 2 and the upper error limit for the jnxRedAlarmState sensor also to 2.

This way the YellowAlarmState sensor will turn yellow when the yellow light is on and the RedAlarmState sensor will turn red when the red light is on.

Regards,

Created on Mar 28, 2012 3:28:10 PM

Last change on Mar 28, 2012 6:52:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm very much afraid in the moment it's not possible to pull two OIDs into one Custom Sensor. I was more thinking of then using a sensor factory sensor, to get the values from these two sensors into one, and apply the limits on the channels of the factory sensor. Then you only need to "pay attention" to one sensor, which can show yellow and red "together".

Created on Mar 28, 2012 3:30:44 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

@ Gerard : Thanks, as you can see, I found the "missing" info for the "Limits" in the channel Tab. Also, pulling the "Count" in place of the "state" is finaly better (I my point of view). Again Thanks.

@Torsten : Reading back my question, I think it's perhaps not clear about this unique Led on the front of the Juniper SRX100, but reflecting the state of 2 counters inside the product. I don't see what can be a "Sensor factory sensor" and/or how to build one; any clues ?

Thanks.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 3:55:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.