What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to see Port Speed on switches?

Votes:

Hello

When i add a Bandwith SNMP Traffic sensor to a switch, i can select the Ports and see if the connected device is connected with 100mb/s or 1gb/s etc.

After the Sensors are added, i can't find that Connectionspeed Info again on the Port Sensors. am i missing something?

cheers Tibor

connect port speed switch

Created on Jan 26, 2011 3:24:15 PM

12 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hallo,

this information is not yet available in the PRTG interface. Port speed is only requested during sensor creation.

Created on Jan 26, 2011 3:26:57 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks for the reply, it would be very nice to add this in a feature release :-)

Created on Jan 26, 2011 3:42:31 PM

Votes:

Has any progress been made to allow this? Don't see a reason to allow us to see port speed etc during creation but not after creation. Would rather not create/cancel sensor creation, SSH or log into the switch UI to grab a high level view of port settings.

Would definitely be useful if we're able to see this information. Possibly a sensor that can detect speed/duplex changes would be nice as well.

Thanks, Sonny

Created on Apr 16, 2014 11:15:47 PM

Votes:

I strongly agree. Being able to instantly know the port speed value is important.

Created on Dec 12, 2014 5:32:59 PM

Votes:

We definitely have a need for this. We have a port channel where one of two ports degraded from 1gb to 100mb, and we would like to know immediately. Most likely a layer 1 cable was bumped. Are there plans for this and if so when. This item is pretty old with no real answer to the OP question.

Created on Jun 4, 2015 6:40:27 PM

Votes:

Hi,

In the device settings, you can add [ifspeed] to the port name template (under SNMP Compatibility Options) to get the estimated current bandwidth of the port in the sensor name.

Best,
Stephan

Created on Jun 5, 2015 7:01:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 to be able to create alerts based off the connected port speed. Have some access points with cabling issues that drop occasionally from 1Gbps to 100Mbps, and it would be great if I could get notified when/if that happens.

Created on Jul 19, 2017 6:13:24 PM

Votes:

In order to monitor changes in the port speed of an appliance, you can use the SNMP Custom Table Sensor. When creating, use the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1. You will see all interfaces after the metascan.

Configure as below:

Sensor name[1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1]
Identification columntable_index
Channel #1 NameSpeed
Channel #1 ColumnifHighSpeed

This will create one sensor per interface, reading the current speed (100=100 Mbit, 1000=1Gbit, etc.). You can then configure limits on these channels, preferably via Multi-Edit on those to make sure they're only running on the speed you want them to :)

Created on Jul 20, 2017 11:37:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for posting this. It certainly isn't needed on each and every interface, but great to be able to do it where critical or where we have been having problems.

Created on May 16, 2018 10:24:21 PM

Votes:

You're welcome! :)

Created on May 17, 2018 6:08:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's funny when I went to add a switch sensor with "SNMP Traffic" I could see that an uplink between a few Gigabit switches was 100 Mbps not Gigabit, Is there a way to create a sensor to monitor and alert on this or make it a warning state? That's got to be some bad cabling between those switches

Created on Oct 9, 2018 6:13:09 PM

Votes:

You could modify the Port Name Template under Settings | SNMP Compatibility Options. Simply include [ifspeed] and the sensor will be renamed according to his current interface speed. If you require to actively alert on certain (or all) interfaces of a critical appliance, check out this post :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 10, 2018 6:43:04 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.