What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Move to PRTG version 8 from version 7 and upgrade OS

Votes:

I am going to upgrade me PRTG version 7 running on Windows 2003 to PRTG version 8. I want to cluster this and then rebuild the current 2003 server to 2008.

My plan is to upgrade the current version of PRTG 7 to 8. Build a Windows 2008 machine and install PRTG 8 on it, then I would join these 2 systems as a cluster. I want to then upgrade the the original machine to Windows 2008. I have read that it is not easy to change the master node of the cluster as that would have to be the original server if I am not mistaken.

What is my best way to do this and upgrade my original server without losing any monitoring settings?

clustering os upgrade

Created on Dec 2, 2010 9:32:45 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

we would suggest to update your PRTG 7 version to 8, then backup and move your PRTG 8 installation as described here (if you want to buildt your Win2008 new from scratch on your old machine):

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/413-how-can-i-move-my-prtg-installation-to-another-computer

You should now have a PRTG with your existing config and data on the new Windows 2008 machine. Check if all sensors are running because sometimes there are some WMI issues depending on different Windows versions.

Then setup Win2008 on your old machine. After both of your machines runs with Win2008 switch on the cluster mode on your PRTG on the new machine. This will be the ClusterMaster.

Install now PRTGv8 on the old machine and select install as a cluster member. This will be your ClusterFailover.

If you want to upgrade your Win2003 without setting up a complete new Win2008 you could skip the move PRTG part (but make a backup of your PRTG anyways). Just make sure that the PRTG installation with all your existing data and settings will become the ClusterMaster, because the master will distribute the settings to the failovers.

How to make a backup of PRTG:

https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/523-how-do-i-backup-all-data-and-configuration-of-my-prtg-installation

kind regards

Created on Dec 3, 2010 11:07:41 AM by  Tobias Lange [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.