Create Invoices based on
PRTG's Monitoring Results
The PRTG Billing Tool is an application that can read PRTG sensor data and generate bills in PDF format. It is an Open Source project which uses .NET
and Lua scripting; monitoring data is queried via PRTG's built-in application programming interface (API).
Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can use this tool to bill their customers for certain traffic usage reported by a specific PRTG sensor. Templates and
calculation are customizable to fit many use cases. We provide this tool as a basis to develop your own billing applications.
- Microsoft Windows XP or later (except Windows 2008 R2)
- Microsoft .NET version 4
- PRTG V8.2 or later
- PRTG web server must be accessible from the machine running the billing tool.
After installation of the PRTG Billing Tool, at first start-up, the program will ask for information to connect to your PRTG server. Please provide Server IP/DNS Name, Port number, and credentials.
Once connected to the PRTG server, you can add a Group and one or more Reports in each group. Add new items by clicking on the Add buttons.
To generate a report, a few settings are necessary:
- Name: Enter a meaningful name for the report. This will appear in your list of reports.
- Sensor ID: Click on the arrow next to this field to see the device tree of your PRTG installation. Select a sensor you want to create the billing report for. You can only select one sensor for each report. Note: If you want to combine the data of multiple sensors, please use a Sensor Factory sensor to consolidate monitoring data and create a billing report for this new sensor.
- Script: Select the Lua script that will be used for the calculation. Scripts are stored in the scripts sub folder of your billing tool installation directory.
Click Ok to save your settings. The report is now added to the Reports list.
Click on Run report or Run report group buttons to generate PDF files. You will be asked for the time period you want to create the report for and then the tool will start querying monitoring data and generate one or more PDF files. You will find them in the directory defined in the Options, by default this is the Documents folder.
- Template: Select an HTML template that will be used for PDF generation. Templates are stored in the templates sub folder of your billing tool installation directory.
- Average: Define for which time span the monitoring data will be averaged. You can select between several intervals, from a minimum of 5 minutes to a maximum of 1 day.
- Client Address: Enter the client's address. To add this to the bill, use the <#clientAddress> placeholder in your template file.
- Client Info: Enter additional client information. To add this to the bill, use the <#clientInfo> placeholder in your template file.
- Billing Header: Enter a header text to appear on the bill. To add this to the bill, use the <#header> placeholder in your template file.
- Billing Footer: Enter a footer text to appear on the bill. To add this to the bill, use the <#listfooter> placeholder in your template file.
- Percentile: If you want to use a percentile calculation, enable this option and set the respective values.Percentile values will then be available via the Lua function GetPercentile().
- Additional placeholders: <#startdate> and <#enddate> are replaced by the start and end of the selected time span when creating a bill report.<#sensorname> is replaced by the sensor name and ID information. You can also use <#invoicedate>, <#itemtable>, and <#graphpath>.
Click on Configuration | Options to change several settings.
Options – General
- Company Logo: Define the location of the company logo, including absolute path. To add this to the bill, use the <#headLogopath> placeholder in your template file.
- Report Output Folder: Define the directory where the finished PDF files will be stored.
- Billing Footer: Define a global billing footer text. To add this to the bill, use the <#footer> placeholder in your template file.
Options – PRTG Server Connection
Use these settings to add or edit the connections to your PRTG installation(s).
Options – Template Options
- Default Billing Header Text: Enter the default Billing Header text which will be pre-defined when creating a new report. You can change this text while creating a new report.
- Default Billing Footer Text: Enter the default Billing Footer text which will be pre-defined when creating a new report. You can change this text while creating a new report.
Data is written into sub folders of both your billing tool installation directory and %LOCALAPPDATA%\Paessler, as well as into the output directory defined in the program's options.
This tool is intended for advanced users with PRTG experience. We cannot guarantee that it suits your needs. We provide the application "as it is". Although we try to answer all questions, this tool is not covered by Paessler's regular next-business-day support offer.
Version 1.0 - Jan 21st 2011
Version 1.2 - Jan 9th 2015
IMPORTANT: When updating from an earlier version, please backup your scripts and templates, then uninstall the old version completely before you install the new version. Afterwards copy your templates to the installation directory again. Note: From version 1.0 to version 1.2 no changes regarding the compatibility of scripts and templates were made.
- Added TLS compatibility to connect to current PRTG versions (in order to connect to older PRTG versions, there is now a dedicated switch to force SSLv3 connections)
- Updated artwork