What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What can I do when my PRTG installation hangs?

Votes:

Hi, I've just downloaded and tried to install the trial version of your software. Unfortunately during installation the setup just idles.

The machine I'm trying to evaluate it on is Windows 7 x64.

Start the installation by running the extracted setup file from the zip archive. I'm asked to select the language and I choose English then click 'ok'. I receive the information dialog that this setup routine is only for freeware, starter or trial edition. I click the 'yes' button to continue installation. The dialog disappears and nothing happens. The taskbar icon is still present for the setup routine, but no dialogs/windows are displaying

what can be the cause for this?

installation prtg windows

Created on Dec 11, 2009 3:05:10 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Please close all other programs and retry.

Any virus scanners that could cause the issue?

we have seen this issue with e.g. if Outlook was still running or with virus-scanners interfering

Created on Dec 11, 2009 3:05:35 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have seen this behaviour (setup freezes after language selection) only a few times and have not been able yet to track down and fix the problem. If other hints do not help the best workaround I know is to reboot the system and then rerun the installer. This has solved the issue in all cases I know of.

Created on Dec 11, 2009 3:06:02 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Jan 22, 2010 11:41:32 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.