What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Report Total Uptime Percentage?

Votes:

I need to know what a group's average uptime was over the past month or year.

It should be a simple calculation but I can't seem to find out where it is or how to get PRTG to report it. I need to tally up a group's Uptime sensors and divide it by a particular time frame to come up with a percentage, such as "99.716% uptime for all sensors in the Texas Group over the past 45 days".

Short of adding up all the numbers myself in some giant excel spreadsheet, how can I get PRTG to report this number to me automatically?

I read from a post on this KB last year that another user was having a similiar problem, and the support staff said that PRTG isn't able to do this simple calculation. That must be a bug or a mistake?

Also: I hate the captcha system on this KB. I've already passed the registration, why the additional verification?

bug prtg uptime

Created on Oct 10, 2013 10:38:28 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Unfortunately this still hasn't changed. The issue here is that the total uptime for a group or a device doesn't make all that much sense to calculate since the downtime for the various sensors can be different and there is no way to easily average these into a single number for every device or group.

If for example you have a ping sensor that on one device will pause all of the other sensors to reduce the number of notifications that single sensor will show a downtime for that period but the other sensors will not. So if you calculate the downtime for that device by averaging all of the downtime for all the sensors, it wouldn't be a realistic number.

Also, if you have other devices where there aren't explicit dependencies, or that are reliant on other devices the same would be true and there is no easy way to define how the total "uptime" or "downtime" for a device is to be calculated. When you expand this idea further to group level, this becomes even less relevant.

This is why these statistics only exist on the sensor level and if you, like most users, want the uptime of a device then you should be see this from the uptime of the Ping sensor.

You might say that the group uptime could be calculated in this fashion in summing the downtimes for the devices then subtracting this from 100% to get the average uptime but the issue here is that not all our customers use Ping as a standard sensor and there is really no way to accommodate for this since every customer's set up is different.

Created on Oct 11, 2013 1:48:47 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the clarification. It makes more sense now to me. I'll poke around our setup and see what I can come up with to generate a report that works for us.

Created on Oct 11, 2013 4:08:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.