What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What does the 'other'-entry in my TopConnections/TopTalkers mean?

Votes:

I have several Netflow Sensors (or sflow) monitoring traffic in my PRTG Network Monitor. I also use the Toplists a lot, and do see a 'other' entry every now and then in the TopConnections and TopTalkers. What does it mean?

netflow prtg sflow toplists xflow

Created on Feb 4, 2010 3:07:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 28, 2011 4:42:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The 'Other'-entry is basically the summed rest of all Toplist items beyond the limit of a Toplist. For example the default limit is 100 entries. But during the generation of a toplist PRTG might collect 150 entries (for TopTalkers/TopConnection, TopProtocols are mostly way less than 100). PRTG will then sum up all entries above 99, and create the 'Other'-entry from this sum.

If this entry is often in the top 5 of a particular TopList you could try to either increase the number of entries for this list, or shorten the period which the TopList covers (or try both). Please be aware however, this means a higher demand of resources, especially if you change these settings for multiple TopLists.

Created on Feb 4, 2010 3:09:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 26, 2010 1:49:41 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.