What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disk I/O performance - SNMP / Custom WMI

Votes:

I am want to monitor disk I/O performance on our Win2008 servers. I have tried to import several MIB's downloaded from the internet but haven't succeeded in converting them using the MIB importer. If anyone already did this, can they post their oidlib here?

I have also tried to do a custom WMI query. This works when executing the query through the WMI tester, but when I run it through Network Monitor I get "Field '*' not found"

Here is the query: SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk where name ='_Total'

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

prtg snmp windows-2008 wmi wmi-custom-sensor wql

Created on Mar 18, 2010 10:58:42 AM

Last change on Mar 1, 2011 10:32:39 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

the problem is the used '*' in the query. This way you receive a result set with multiple fields, which can't be handled by the PRTG Network Monitor in the moment (it would simply not know which field you'd like to check). So please use a precise query which delivers one field, like for example:

SELECT AvgDiskQueueLength FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk where name ='_Total' which would give you the Average Disk Queue Length.

Best Regards.

See Also

How to create a WMI Custom Sensor

Created on Mar 18, 2010 11:25:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 23, 2010 11:58:47 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Great. That worked. Thank you.

Created on Mar 19, 2010 7:41:15 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.