What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Service don't start automatically

Votes:

Hello,

I have a problem with a PRTG installation. After a server reboot (where PRTG Core is installed), the PRTG Service don't start automatically and I need to start it manually. In the Windows Service Console, both PRTG Core server service, probe service are set to start automatically.

An idea ?

PRTG Version : 8 OS : Windows 2003 server

automatically service start

Created on Apr 19, 2011 9:16:34 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

please try setting the "Start Type" of the PRTG Service to be "Automatic (Delayed Start)" (if this start type is available, which requires Vista or a newer Windows Version). This solved the issue in the cases we have seen with other customers.

best regards.

Created on Oct 5, 2011 12:13:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

Do you get any error messages when starting the system pertaining the service in case not starting?

Created on Apr 19, 2011 10:00:55 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

No particular errors in Windows event viewer. When I start manually from PRTG Probe administrator, the service start normally...

Created on May 2, 2011 10:15:03 AM

Votes:

I also have this problem. I just installed the latest version. Core service will not start automatically. Please help. very annoying.

Created on Jun 3, 2011 7:26:03 PM

Votes:

Could you both please forward us your probe and core log files to [email protected]? Please make sure to refer to this knowledge base case.

Created on Jun 6, 2011 3:24:31 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

please try setting the "Start Type" of the PRTG Service to be "Automatic (Delayed Start)" (if this start type is available, which requires Vista or a newer Windows Version). This solved the issue in the cases we have seen with other customers.

best regards.

Created on Oct 5, 2011 12:13:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The best answer won't work for me because PRTG is running on an XP SP3 machine.

I was hoping this would be fixed in an upgrade version. I am running the most recent version and still have the issue. I gave up and just created a script that runs at startup. The contents of that scripts are: net start "PRTG Core Server Service"

Created on Dec 28, 2011 7:12:28 PM

Votes:

I have this issue in the current version. after reboot of the server the service doesn't start automatically. the setting of the service is - Automatic (Delayed Start).

Any ideas ? should I install some 3rd party software to start the PRTG after reboot??

Created on Sep 16, 2016 5:04:31 AM

Votes:

Created on Sep 16, 2016 5:18:39 AM

Last change on Sep 16, 2016 8:04:43 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your response. Which exact PRTG Service does not start? The Probe or the Core? And can you manually start it without issues a few minutes after the reboot?

Created on Sep 16, 2016 7:58:14 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I encounter the same problem with my PRTG installation, Probe and Core services (V22.1.74.1869 on Windows server 2012 R2).

It append 100% of the time before delaying the start of the services and now it occurs roughly 1/2 when I restart the windows server and I have to start them manually (without problem).

I have also the same problem with V22.2.76.1705 on windows Server 2019

Is there any one who had the same problem? If yes how it has been fixed?

Created on Aug 4, 2022 8:13:43 AM

Votes:

Hi Charles,

PRTG depends on particular Windows settings to be able to bind the correct ports for instance. The delayed start is a good way to go. As you mentioned that it fails every second time still, I'd also recommend to check if

• PRTG is the only software running on this host, or if there are any software which might conflict
  • Try to pause any anti-virus tool during the next startup, or at least create an exception for the directories and services:
    • PRTG Core Server Service
    • PRTG Probe Service
    • Data: ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
    • Installation: Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor
  • See if the machine got enough resources assigned if not physical

From the point of view of PRTG, we can just intervene into the start once the service got started by Windows.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 5, 2022 5:55:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your answer. I will check the 2 points and I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Charls

Created on Aug 24, 2022 1:18:15 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.