What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Restoring?

Votes:

My master computer died. I can get to the backup files but there is no procedure for restoring anywhere in this forum. Can you tell me how to restore this files?

Another problem is that I was still using version 7.x and my new pc now has 8.x installed. Can I restore 7x files to the 8.x server?

backup restore upgrade

Created on Feb 8, 2011 6:48:12 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Shelly,

you can use the backup from PRTG 7, to restore it on a PRTG 8 machine (technically this would then be like an upgrade from PRTG 7 to 8):

1. Stop PRTG core and probe services on the new PC:
    • In the "PRTG Server Administrator" program choose the "Service Control" tab and click on "Stop"
    • In the "PRTG Probe Administrator" program choose the "Service Control" tab and click on "Stop"
  2. Find the data folder:
    • In the "PRTG Server Administrator" program choose the "Core Server" tab and find the "Path for data files" setting
  3. Open this folder in the Windows Explorer:
    • Please bear in mind that you might need to adjust the Windows Folder View Settings in order to see the, by default, hidden datafolder of PRTG
  4. Copy all files to the data folders of the target system from the backup
    • Overwrite all files on the target system
    • Note: the following folders are not necessary for the migration: "Configuration Auto-Backups", "Logs (System)", "Logs (Debug)", "Logs (Web Server)", "Report PDFs"
  5. Restart the PRTG Services

Best Regards.

Created on Feb 8, 2011 6:54:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.