PRTG Manual: Auto-Update
In the Auto-Update settings, you can check the status of the auto-update, view logs, and edit settings. When a new version of PRTG is available on the Paessler website, PRTG automatically downloads the setup file if a direct internet connection is available. The PRTG System Administrator user then receives a ToDo ticket with instructions to initiate the update installation.
If you use a Freeware Edition or Trial Edition, automatic software updates are available at any time. If you use a Commercial Edition, you need to have an active maintenance contract to receive updates.
This documentation refers to an administrator that accesses the PRTG web interface on a master node. Other user accounts, interfaces, or failover nodes might not have all of the options in the way described here. In a cluster, note that failover nodes are read-only by default.
If 15 minutes (900) seconds have passed since your last credential-based login and you open a setup page from a different setup page, PRTG asks you to enter your credentials again for security reasons. A dialog box appears. Enter your Login Name and Password and click OK to continue.
This option is not available in PRTG Hosted Monitor.
- Status: Click the Status tab to download and install updates.
- Log: Click the Log tab to show log information about the update status of PRTG, newest first. In the table list, you can filter the items by using the respective options.
For more information, see section Logs.
- Settings: Click the Settings tab to configure the auto-update and release channel. See Software Auto-Update below.
If there is a new version available, you see detailed information about the available version. Read these notes carefully. You find a summary of current and past release notes below the update section. For detailed release notes, click PRTG Release Notes and Version History, which redirects you to the version history page on paessler.com.
To install the latest available version, click Install Update [version number]. PRTG asks you to confirm installation and license.
Downloaded software versions are automatically saved in the \download subfolder of the PRTG program directory. The prtg.zip that contains all necessary files is also cached in this subfolder.
Not all available updates from Paessler are pushed to all customers but they are still available on the website. Sometimes the Paessler support team might ask you to update to the latest version.
In this case, click Check For Latest Update and Download. PRTG connects to the Paessler servers and downloads the setup file, regardless of the status of the update check. Then click Install Update [version number].
To use this function, a direct internet connection is necessary on the PRTG core server system.
When a New Version is Available
Define what PRTG does when software updates are available:
This setting is only visible if you select Automatically download and install above. Select the desired time for the installation of updates from the dropdown list. You can select As soon as the update is available to install updates at any time of the day.
Define the release channel that PRTG delivers updates in. Choose from:
Save your settings. If you change tabs or use the main menu without saving, all changes to the settings are lost.
There are a few things that we ask you to consider regarding automatic software updates:
- For automatic software updates to work, the PRTG core server system must have direct internet access. If a proxy connection is necessary, configure it in the Core & Probes settings.
For details about the update servers, see the Knowledge Base: Which servers does PRTG connect to for software auto-update, activation, etc.?.
- During installation, the PRTG core server system might restart without notice.
- PRTG automatically updates remote probes, which can cause short downtimes in the monitoring of remote locations. In rare cases, a manual update of remote probes is required after you update the PRTG core server. In these cases, you are notified in the device tree, and the monitoring of remote locations is interrupted until you perform the manual update on the remote probe system. If a probe system uses several network connections with different IP addresses, make sure that these IP addresses are included in the list of allowed IP addresses. Otherwise, the remote probe on this system might be disconnected after an update.
- In a cluster, you only need to install the update on one cluster node. PRTG automatically deploys the new version to all other cluster nodes. This can cause a short amount of downtime for the monitoring on the cluster nodes, one after the other.
- If you run several individual PRTG core servers that are not in a cluster, you have to initiate and confirm an update for each single PRTG core server.
- You can disable automatic downloading on the auto-update Settings tab. PRTG then only downloads updates when you click Check For Latest Update and Download.
- PRTG does not start auto-update downloads if less than 500 MB disk space is available on the PRTG core server system. If this is the case, you can check this on the Log tab.
- Virus scanners can potentially cause issues when downloading or installing software updates. To avoid such issues, we recommend that you make the appropriate exclusions for the PRTG program directory.
Which servers does PRTG connect to for software auto-update, activation, etc.?
Which information does PRTG send back to Paessler?
Release notes for the "stable" release channel
- Account Settings
- System Administration
- User Interface
- Notification Delivery
- Core & Probes
- User Accounts
- User Groups
- Administrative Tools
- Single Sign-On
- Maintainer Mode
- PRTG Status
- License Information
- Optional Downloads
- Help and Support Center
- Contact Support
There are some settings that you must make in the PRTG Administration Tool. For more details, see the sections: