There are a lot of Cisco router
errors out there. Way too many, right?
You as sysadmin know that for sure – service configuration errors,
interface overrun errors, ROMmon mode problems. All these Cisco router errors sometimes drives you crazy.
Here you’ll find quick solutions for the most common Cisco router errors:
- Cisco router “%Error opening tftp“
- Cisco router “interface overrun”
- Cisco router “ROMmon mode problem”
- Cisco router “Error Code 448” or “Dialog (%1) aborted and was deleted“
And you’ll find the solution to get rid of ALL Cisco router errors – forever: Test PRTG as your new monitoring tool
and get started within minutes!
The service configuration error „%Error opening tftp” occurs during initial hardware bootup through Cisco IOS software.
To solve the problem, issue the no service config global command:
Enter configuration commands, one per line.
Router(config)#no service config
Router#copy running-config startup-config
The error message will not come up again at the next bootup of the Cisco router.
ASA interface overrun errors occur when a packet is received on the network interface, but cannot be stored due to a lack of capacity. The error can be caused both on a software and on a hardware level.
- Check if the Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) experiences CPU hogs that cause the problem. Try to reduce CPU hogs.
- Determine if the ASA is oversubscribed due to the traffic profile of the interface traffic rates.
- Check if the problem is caused by intermittent traffic bursts. If this is the case, implement flow control to the ASA interface.
There are several problems that can cause the Cisco router to get stuck in ROMmon mode. Most commonly, the error is caused during the boot process.
- If your router gets stuck in ROMmon mode during the boot process, examine the value of the configuration register by entering the confreg command.
- Change the value of the configuration register as shown below to stop the router to go into the ROMmon mode after reloading.
rommon 2 > confreg Configuration Summary enabled are: load rom after netboot fails console baud: 9600 boot: the ROM Monitor do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: y enable "diagnostic mode"? y/n [n]: enable "use net in IP bcast address"? y/n [n]: disable "load rom after netboot fails"? y/n [n]: enable "use all zero broadcast"? y/n [n]: enable "break/abort has effect"? y/n [n]: enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]: change console baud rate? y/n [n]: change the boot characteristics? y/n [n]: y enter to boot: 0 = ROM Monitor 1 = the boot helper image 2-15 = boot system : 2 Configuration Summary enabled are: load rom after netboot fails console baud: 9600 boot: image specified by the boot system commands or default to: cisco2-C2600 do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: n You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect. rommon 3> reset
If you encounter Cisco router error code 448, you receive the message “Dialog (%1) aborted and was deleted”. Error 448 is not a routing error, but occurs when the customer leg disconnected for the call at the routing client.
- Go to the program menu and select ICM Admin Workstation > Schema Help > Contents > ICM Master Help Option > Help Option.
- Select your router’s name and click on ICM error. Wait for the error popup window to appear. Scroll through the error message.
- Apply patches through SR2 or hotfix 162 for ICM 4.6.2 to adjust the way error code 448 is used for abandoning calls. Check your router to make sure that the problem is solved.
Choose your solution: Bugfix or replacement
With PRTG you'll never have to deal with
Cisco router errors again. Ever.
PRTG monitors your Cisco devices out of the box
PRTG features special sensors designed just for Cisco devices
PRTG integrates technologies such as SNMP and NetFlow
PRTG increases the security of your network and the quality of your service
Trusted by 500,000 users and recognized
by industry analysts as a leader
|Network Monitoring Software - Version 22.214.171.1244 (June 22nd, 2022)|
|Download for Windows and cloud-based version PRTG Hosted Monitor available|
|English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese|
|Up to 100 sensors for free (Price List)|
|Network devices, bandwidth, servers, applications, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and more|
Supported Vendors & Applications