What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Export Syslog

Votes:

I have a couple of wireless controllers sending their syslogs to the new syslog sensor. I can view the historical information in the web view, but is there any way to export the syslog data so I can send that data elsewhere?

export prtg syslog

Created on Feb 26, 2014 9:08:46 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I use a trick in the browser view for SNMP messages.

Enable a filter Select/highlight the data in all columns in the browser/messages page Copy this from the browser window In Excel, use 'Paste Special' then 'Unicode Text'.

The PRTG data will parse into Excel columns for further reporting or slicing.

Michael

Created on Dec 10, 2019 2:18:29 PM

56 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid currently Exporting/Reporting on the Syslog or SNMP Trap Messages (of these two new sensors) is not possible. We do have this on the wish list though. Please consider your vote counted!

best regards.

Created on Feb 27, 2014 8:14:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well it won't let me upvote this because I'm a newb... but please count this as priority 1 for me... I would be so ecstatic for the ability to print out the messages or export them to a file...

Color coded filtering of messages is also on my wish list.

Thanks for our awesome products!

Created on May 5, 2014 4:44:54 AM

Votes:

Hi,
your vote has been counted as well. And thank you very much for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
Best regards

Created on May 5, 2014 11:58:50 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this feature been added, seems like an easy task.

Thanks

Matt

Created on Nov 21, 2014 5:56:56 AM

Votes:

Same issue !!!! not possible to export the syslog message or just read them with notepad....

Created on Nov 26, 2014 7:52:37 AM

Votes:

Thank you, your votes have been counted as well.

Created on Nov 26, 2014 8:12:11 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same problem. Need to export Syslog messages.

Created on Apr 8, 2015 11:40:02 AM

Votes:

I would love to have possibility to export SNMP Trap messages to eg. csv or xml file.

Created on May 3, 2015 7:40:49 AM

Votes:

Please count my vote as well

Created on Sep 1, 2015 9:57:00 AM

Votes:

I counted your vote as well, thank you!

Created on Sep 1, 2015 10:33:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Signed up so i can post my vote.

Thank you.

Created on Sep 9, 2015 5:36:40 AM

Votes:

Another request for the syslog export option.

Created on Dec 8, 2015 7:58:26 PM

Votes:

Another vote for the same request !

Created on Dec 9, 2015 4:03:47 PM

Votes:

Exporting and/or printing from syslog. Another vote in support of this request. Thanks!

Created on Dec 10, 2015 2:53:52 PM

Votes:

might as well at my vote too. I need api access to syslog and traps

Created on Mar 3, 2016 5:01:33 AM

Votes:

Count my vote please. Would be a great feature so I can keep track of when my AP devices drop their Radio signals.

Created on Apr 4, 2016 5:46:00 PM

Votes:

I just spent half a day configuring PRTG Syslog and uninstalled the old SYSLOG server to find this blog which was created in FEB 2014!!!! - Can we have this please ASAP!!!!

I have a support ticket with Netgear and they need to see the Syslog entries

Can't believe this is not possible :(

Created on Apr 5, 2016 6:12:50 PM

Votes:

Please note that PRTG is not a fully fledged syslog analysis tool as of right now. Tools like splunk or graylog might serve your purpose better, both of them are free and offer a variety of options beyond PRTGs possibilities :)

Created on Apr 7, 2016 2:42:26 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Export of Syslog messages would be a huge benifit!

Created on Apr 25, 2016 11:42:34 AM

Votes:

Is there API access to the syslog messages?

Created on May 25, 2016 5:42:09 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, the Syslog (and Trap) messages cannot be accessed via API.

Created on May 26, 2016 7:50:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yet another request for syslog export functionality.

Created on Jun 6, 2016 6:21:16 PM

Votes:

Please count my vote as well

Created on Sep 8, 2016 2:34:38 AM

Votes:

upvote! Also a bit more functionality how to intreper the data (colum build up, line breaks understanding could be very helpfull). I'm using it as a SIP/SBC syslog, and the (sip) messages are unreadable.

Created on Feb 21, 2017 12:30:53 PM

Votes:

Please register another up-vote. It was not readily apparent I would not be able to go back and review messages. It was deceiving to see messages real-time and to know they were logged. I guess the Syslog Receiver is just a sensor to spot trends in numbers of messages of different types?

Created on Mar 23, 2017 4:08:39 PM

Votes:

That is correct, the Syslog (and Trap) Sensor in PRTG are not really intended to replace full-featured Syslog/Trap-Servers, but to be able to show trends and alert upon certain specific messages (and to review those with basic features).

Created on Mar 24, 2017 9:13:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on this export feature request? There appears to be many people requesting this feature and there are other posts too requesting the same. As this was originally logged in 2014... what is the likelihood of something being developed this year? Know what Paessler's priority and eta is will help manage expectation and allow your customers to take appropriate action.

Created on Jan 16, 2018 6:17:52 PM

Votes:

Russell, thank you very much for the post. The request is still in the backlog. I've raised your voices again just now, with an emphasis on exporting the data. To be honest though, our pipeline is quite full for 2018 with a lot of good stuff, and this being a larger rework than one might initially think, I don't see it in 2018. Sorry.

Created on Jan 17, 2018 9:12:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 17, 2018 9:12:40 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the update Torsten. I think I have found a potential workaround that others on this post may be interested in that allows you to drop all the syslog info into Excel. Steps for others...

1. Open the Web GUI and navigate to the Syslog receiver sensor through the Devices menu.
  2. Select the Messages heading to display all lat 50 items messages... the default option.
  3. In the latest version of PRTG, you will notice that the Message column... the most useful part is truncated and moving the mouse over expands the details.
  4. What I've found is that if you filter the information within here and select the table of information at the right point... ( just left of the first date column ) and select all the way down the table then press Ctrl + C to copy... you can then past this into Excel.
  5. The most important point when doing this is that the Message collumn included in the copy is the full message... not the truncated Message in the Web GUI.
  6. Now... in Excel... all that is required is to add some column headers and use normal Excel data filtering. My only request now is to increase the Web GUI Message Column width as this would make online viewing a lot easier. Perhaps this would be a very easy mod for this year?

Created on Jan 17, 2018 3:25:29 PM

Last change on Jan 17, 2018 4:07:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've put it into the backlog, with an emphasized passionate note. Thanks Russell also for your understanding tone of writing. I really appreciate that!

Created on Jan 18, 2018 12:29:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can't upvote RussellCarr "export to CSV tip" due to my "lack of reputation" over here, but he still deserve credits

Created on Mar 25, 2018 2:12:14 PM

Votes:

Paessler - you haven't fixed tis for 4 years?

I understand and agree that PRTG is not a full fledged syslog server. I use it more as an alerting tool for critical syslog event. But .... exporting data is something that you should be able to do. Maybe not in 2014. But in 4 years? A data export? Please add this feature.

Russel - thank you

Created on Aug 10, 2018 1:02:30 AM

Votes:

I would like to upvote the request to add an export feature please. Paessler are misleading people. The purpose of a syslog server is to collect data to diagnose issues. If the data cannot be sent on to the network team or partners helping to investigate an issue (Dell, Cisco, etc) then the syslog is useless.

I Googled for "free syslog server" and Paessler were the #1 result which leads to a page promoting it for this purpose. https://www.paessler.com/free_syslog_server It says "This way you can move your syslog logs from many different types of systems to one central syslog server". You made this feature sound like an essential "must have" tool for people managing multiple servers and appliances.

But with hindsight who in their right mind would follow your suggestion if they knew logs can't be exported? Please be upfront and warn people in advance. Then we can save hours of time moving syslogs to PRTG and then moving it all back again when we realise it was a really big mistake! I appreciate PRTG is free to use but let's not ignore the cost of people's time wasted because a critical feature has not been implemented or disclosed on the marketing page. #furious

Created on Nov 23, 2018 10:47:24 AM

Votes:

We would like this feature as well. I use PRTG as the tool for all of our monitoring. Being able to report or export on SYSLOG and SNMP traps would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Created on Jan 29, 2019 5:23:59 PM

Votes:

Thanks for your voices. Please consider them counted. In case you wonder why the thread hasn't been recreated as an official feature request, there's already an internal ticket for this one and a new thread wouldn't make sense. Thanks for your participation!

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 31, 2019 7:07:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Support Please integrate the SYSLOG export feature through API.

My company is dumping the system because of this limitation. It is really frustrating that missing such secondary feature has been pending for years.

Yours

Ehab

Created on Feb 3, 2019 10:54:49 AM

Votes:

Thanks for your voice. Consider it counted. I'm pushing this internally to make sure the userbase is heard regarding an update of the sensor :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 4, 2019 9:46:20 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi PRTG staff

I assume all the logs are somewhere in the background, is there a way to grab this manually? I need to trace back some events.

Regards, Steve Chapman

Include me as a vote also please!

Created on Jul 22, 2019 8:18:24 AM

Votes:

The log files are located in C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Syslog Database. However, the format is somewhat difficult to parse.

Created on Jul 22, 2019 6:51:05 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Version 17 used to have a filter under messages. I do not see it in Version 18. Is that gone? I don't necessarily need to export, but would like to be able to drill down.

Created on Jul 24, 2019 7:04:16 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You can display the filter by clicking "Show Filters" in the upper right corner of the messages tab.

Best regards.

Created on Jul 24, 2019 7:11:49 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, ctl_- does show so much more. That was what I was looking for.

Created on Jul 24, 2019 7:14:09 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I use a trick in the browser view for SNMP messages.

Enable a filter Select/highlight the data in all columns in the browser/messages page Copy this from the browser window In Excel, use 'Paste Special' then 'Unicode Text'.

The PRTG data will parse into Excel columns for further reporting or slicing.

Michael

Created on Dec 10, 2019 2:18:29 PM

Votes:

@maserafi Nice workaround!

Created on Dec 11, 2019 8:38:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Team,

We are also looking at exporting Syslog from PRTG to Splunk. Any update on this feature request. This has been requested in 2014. 6 year is a long time.

Created on Jul 12, 2020 7:20:34 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Currently we cannot tell you when the option is available in PRTG. Therefore, I would ask you for a little patience.

Created on Jul 13, 2020 9:51:53 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there an update on this?

Created on Sep 8, 2020 8:08:29 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there's no update yet. it's currently not possible to export syslog messages.

Created on Sep 8, 2020 8:41:16 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there an update on this please??

Created on Sep 29, 2020 3:16:38 AM

Votes:

any update to implement the export feature for PRTG?

Created on Jan 19, 2021 6:45:18 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid that there is no news regarding the possibility to export syslog messages. The implementation of such feature is not as easy as it may looks, due to several technical limitations.

As of now, you have the possibility to "forward" the last 20 messages by email with the corresponding placeholders that you will find in this manual: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/list_of_placeholders_for_notifications

Regards.

Created on Jan 19, 2021 9:23:21 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 19, 2021 9:25:37 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Add another user, who has yet to respond to this thread, to the vote to have this feature added to PRTG.

Thank you

Created on Nov 2, 2021 1:45:50 PM

Votes:

Hi, count another one. We understand that the main purpose of PRTG isn't a syslog server, but we just want to do basic tasks like logs browsing with export, that's it! Right now it's barely usuable and it's sad because all the other features are fantastics :)

Created on Mar 9, 2022 6:52:21 PM

Votes:

We are looking at Splunk as well and have been enjoying PRTG for the past few years. I was hoping to see the ability to send PRTG logs to Splunk and find it strange that it cannot. Please add this log export/forwarding feature; it has been requested from many people for a long time.

Thank you!

Created on Aug 17, 2022 6:28:06 PM

Votes:

Also chiming in to vote for support for this one. I've just added a syslog rx to PRTG and a little dissappointed to see I can't export the logs.

Created on Apr 24, 2023 3:24:59 PM

Votes:

Adding my voice to this one too - nearly 10 year old this thread :)

Created on May 31, 2023 4:24:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.