What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trap receiver severity

Votes:

I have a custom device Trap defined as following in the Mib already imported in PRTG. I'm able to receive traps bat I'm not able to manage the SEVERITY and the Summary information. radiostatusBiteTrap TRAP-TYPE ENTERPRISE elman VARIABLES { radiostatusResourceName, radiostatusBiteCode, radiostatusBiteMsg } DESCRIPTION "Remote radio device in ERROR status." SUMMARY "Remote radio device %s in ERROR status: code %d - %s" ARGUMENTS {0, 1, 2} SEVERITY CRITICAL STATE NONOPERATIONAL ::= 101 This is what I can see on the Trap Receiver sensor Bindins fields, but I cannot see the "SUMMARY" and SEVERITY fieds: SNMPv2-SMI-v1::enterprises.33205.100.100.0=ELM475 SNMPv2-SMI-v1::enterprises.33205.100.104.0=52 SNMPv2-SMI-v1::enterprises.33205.100.105.0=AIS: internal GNSS failure - Antenna connector is open

snmp snmp-sensor snmp-trap

Created on Feb 25, 2014 12:22:05 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just to check, how exactly did you "import" the MIB? Please be aware that, for the SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor, the MIB needs to be in the "\Mib"-subfolder of PRTGs program files directory, as MIB-File (not OIDLib-File).

Created on Feb 26, 2014 2:50:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. The "bindings"-column should show all contents of a trap (except the standard fields like source ip, etc.). Did you check with Wireshark if the trap does contain a 'Severity' field indeed?

best regards.

Created on Feb 26, 2014 1:08:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Trap contains that information (i.e. checked with Wireshark and other SNMP Manager) but these infos aren't in a "human" readable format: these infos are encoded in the MIB format (i.e. see original post). What I'm missing is how to set in the SNMP Trap receiver the TRAP MIB that contains "TRAP-TYPE" information.

Created on Feb 26, 2014 2:15:13 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just to check, how exactly did you "import" the MIB? Please be aware that, for the SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor, the MIB needs to be in the "\Mib"-subfolder of PRTGs program files directory, as MIB-File (not OIDLib-File).

Created on Feb 26, 2014 2:50:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It seems to work better,
now Bindings field is more clear:

ELMAN-MIB::radiostatusResourceName.0=ELM198
ELMAN-MIB::radiostatusAlarmCode.0=52
ELMAN-MIB::radiostatusAlarmMsg.0=AIS: internal GNSS failure - Antenna connector is open

However it isn't enough for my purposes, because, in order to manage a kind of "Severity", it is useful to have also other information (e.g. as described here ).

Created on Feb 26, 2014 4:41:11 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid PRTG cannot have the Trap Sensor change into Error state with a certain trap being received, and only go into green UP state again, if a certain different trap was received. The suggestion is to work with according filters here, where the sensor will open a Ticket-Notification then, which has to be closed by a user then.

Created on Feb 27, 2014 2:19:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.