What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe Identification

Votes:

Hi

I am trying to determine how the core server identifies remote probes. So is it based on IP/GUID/Password/combination ?

The reason I am asking is we have a requirement to install a number of probes that will all appear to originate from a single IP address (NAT) and would like to know if this would work (i think it does) and if there are ay limitations that would be imposed.

Example limitations: We wouldn't be able to block a probe via an IP address - we could assign each probe a individual password to get around this ?

Let me know

Thanks

nat prtg remote-probe server

Created on Nov 14, 2013 10:20:51 AM

Last change on Jun 17, 2016 8:58:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

The identification is done by a GUID generated in the probe. So multiple probes from one IP are possible (NAT).

The only limitation, as you already stated, is that a "block by ip" is not anymore possible (you can do it on the extern interface of your firewall).

You can use passwords or the "Deny GID" section in PRTG to block individual probes.

Created on Nov 14, 2013 2:41:51 PM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.