What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SYSLOG FROM ROUTERS

Votes:

Do you know if it's possible to output syslog messages into PRTG or for PRTG to monitor this type of information?

cisco prtg routers syslog

Created on Nov 5, 2013 12:54:14 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

In the next few months, there will be a more advanced Syslog sensor that will be coming out that will be able to monitor and filter these messages.

For the time being you can use the syslog receiver that already exists but this is quite limited but you are still able to change the status of the sensor based on severity and on content. You can read more about this sensor here

Created on Nov 5, 2013 4:11:24 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Excellent. Any time frame for the new sensor?

Created on Nov 6, 2013 9:00:35 AM

Votes:

It should be out within the next few months since it's currently in testing. If you want to see how it works and test with it you could download the trial version of PRTG and update it to the Canary channel and the sensor is there. We do not recommend running Canary for production systems since the bugs have not all been worked out.

Created on Nov 6, 2013 10:12:48 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks _ i have had a look at adding the syslog recevier on to my router however it says it cannot be added "Sensors can only be created on a Probe device. Please select a Probe device to add these sensor types." How do I create a probe device for this router to add the syslog recevier sensor ?

Created on Nov 7, 2013 12:29:44 PM

Votes:

This is because this sensor type must be set up on a probe device, not the device that is being monitored. When you use the Syslog sensor, you will need to send the syslogs to the probe and so you need to put the sensor on the probe that is receiving the syslogs.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 12:59:33 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ah , sorry - yes of course. I have a syslog capturing software. I need to setup my routers to send the syslog traps to there and then get PRTG to monitor the syslog events from that device.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 1:35:44 PM

Votes:

still, we are working on a complete makeover of the syslog and trap receiver capabilities.

This is already available in our canary build of PRTG.

Created on Nov 7, 2013 2:20:48 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.