What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

May remote probe act as an simple agent?

Votes:

Hi,

I test your PRTG Network Monitor and I wonder if remote probe may be treated as simple agent method. I read what you wrote on your www about agent and agentless monitoring method. But in your description you focus on using remote probe to connect remote locations, or different subnetworks through firewall. My question is, from technical point of view, can I use remote probe in for example 300 servers instead snmp & wmi method. Because with wmi there are many configuration steps needed to work properly, with remote probe there is a lot less.

Thanks.

monitoring remote-probe snmp wmi

Created on Sep 28, 2013 12:15:38 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

yes that is possible. The Number of remote probes are not limited by the license.

Created on Sep 30, 2013 10:44:28 AM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Votes:

Ok, thank you for your answer. Are there any disadvantages of this solution, to treat remote probe as an agent compare to wmi&snmp method?

Which is better?

Created on Sep 30, 2013 10:54:56 AM

Votes:

The disadvantages of this solution is in the case of an version update of the probe and remote service. Normally this should be done automatically but maybe it takes awhile to update all remote probes to the same version. Please see this link for a workaround for Simultaneous Update of Remote Probes

If it is possible I would use SNMP to monitor the servers, because the required performance is much lower. But you need to install a SNMP service on all Servers.

For SNMP monitoring on Windows you might want to look at SNMP Informant. The offer also a free product "SNMP Informant Standard" which gives you approximately 200 Counters for every Windows machine.

Created on Sep 30, 2013 11:45:24 AM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Last change on Sep 30, 2013 12:03:56 PM by  Michael Schmidt [Paessler Support] (150) 1 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.