What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Variable

Votes:

Some time ago, a user asked about Sensor Variable at this URL: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/13673-may-i-put-in-sensor-name-a-variable-like-an-oid-string#reply-39213

Has this been implemented?

feature-request sensor variables

Created on Aug 14, 2013 7:32:40 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very sorry, but due to very very little requests, this was not implemented. Thank you very much for the feedback! If you'd like, please have a look at the following blog post by our CEO, explaining "How We Rate Your Feature Requests".

best regards.

Created on Aug 14, 2013 4:38:54 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We too would be very interested in this feature. We do a lot of monitoring on NetApp SAN's and whenever a volume is deleted, all the OID's of the next volumes shift one place up in the list, hence the value that the sensors display no longer correspond to the names of the sensors.

I believe that is why Paessler created the "Disk Free: flexible volume" sensors. Unfortunately we need to monitor a whole lot more than just the free disk space.

Therefor it would be extremely useful if we could use the value of the OID containing the name of the volume as the name of the PRTG sensor monitoring whatever other OID related to the corrsponding volume.

Could this feature please be reconsidered? Thx!

Created on Mar 3, 2014 10:25:42 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.