What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe IIS 6.0 SMTP Sent not working

Votes:

Hi,

I have successfully installed a remote probe on one of our servers. On the CORE server, I tried to add the IIS 6.0 SMTP Sent sensor for this remote probe, but the sensor will always display this error:

The specified object is not found on the system. (Performance Counter error 0xC0000BB8)

If I switch to using WMI only, it gives an error:

Class(es) not found: Win32_PerfRawData_SMTPSVC_SMTPServer

Now the PROBE server is an SMTP server, and I can confirm that the SMTP server is working. I have also tried these: - Changing the login to domain administrator, no luck - Querying the WMI using WBemtest, and Win32_PerfRawData_SMTPSVC_SMTPServer is there, no luck - Forcing refresh using wmiadap.exe /f and /r, no luck

I've also checked the firewall, but since it's able to get into the system anyways, I don't see any issues with it.

Is there anything else I can do to make the probe working?

Thanks.

prtg remote-probe sensor wmi

Created on Jun 20, 2013 2:30:17 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

When you added the sensor for the IIS SMTP server, did you add it to the Remote Probe node in PRTG? If you didn't add the device and sensor under the Remote Probe, the Core server will be the server trying to obtain that data and the Remote Probe will not be used.

Have you true using the WMI tester on the SMTP server directly or have you been running this from the Core server?

Are you able to create any other WMI sensors?

Created on Jun 20, 2013 2:16:21 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yep, so I've followed the instructions on here:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/remote_probe_setup.htm

and I have accepted the probe in the CORE server. It is now listed under it's own node (Probe).

I've also tried running WBemtest on the SMTP server (not the CORE), and the query works.

I've also added a CPU Load sensor manually under the remote probe and can confirm that it is working.

Also for information, the server config is:

Windows Server 2008 R2 (6.1.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1)

PRTG Network Monitor 13.2.3.2284

The remote probe is on the same version as the CORE server.

Created on Jun 20, 2013 11:40:44 PM

Votes:

Please try going through the repair list here and see if that fixes the issue. In particular, please look at the resync, reload and rebuild sections but please try out the things in this article and after try testing with the WMI tester against the query "SELECT * FROM win32_perfrawdata_smtpsvc_smtpserver"

Created on Jun 21, 2013 1:59:18 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I've followed steps outlined in the article, and still no luck.

The query works in the PROBE server, and there are no errors in the probe server. It's just that it seems that it cannot find that class (even though it exists).

Created on Jun 24, 2013 6:57:52 AM

Votes:

Would it be possible to submit a ticket for this issue to [email protected] with some screenshots of the issue and your System Logs?

Created on Jun 24, 2013 12:28:05 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No problem. I will do so momentarily.

Thanks!

Created on Jun 25, 2013 11:20:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.