What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Has anyone created templates for Cisco UCS?

Votes:

It doesn't appear the PRTG has any built in libraries for UCS. I just downloaded the MIB bundle and it's quite extensive. I also know UCS supports some cool XML type monitoring. Before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone here already set up some advanced monitoring of UCS through PRTG? If so, mind sharing your template/OIDLIBs?

To Paessler: Any ETA on build in UCS support? The last mention of it from you is dated late 2011. I'm hoping something has changed since then.

cisco nexus ucs xml

Created on Jun 6, 2013 6:04:24 PM

17 Replies

Votes:

We do have sensor called SNMP Cisco System Health that might work on your UCS, but we do not have anything that is UCS specific. We will count your vote for our wishlist. It would help if you let us know what exactly you want to monitor on your UCS, though.

Created on Jun 7, 2013 9:53:40 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

I'm not really familiar with the system yet, but there are 76 individual MIBS specific to UCS and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. I can post the bundle if that helps.

Created on Jun 10, 2013 3:59:01 PM

Votes:

What exactly do you want to monitor on your ucs? Everything is usually not useful with Cisco devices, as most of the Cisco devices provide really much information.

If you'd send those MIBs to our support team, they will forward them to the development team. It would really help, if you downloaded our SNMP Tester v5 Beta 11 and did an SNMP walk on those systems for the oid "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9" and also attached the walk results to the mail.

It will be a lot of work to process those files, we can not make any promises what we can do and how long it will take.

Created on Jun 11, 2013 11:45:54 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Aug 27, 2013 8:01:27 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I haven't finished SNMP setup of the UCS yet but I will forward those walks when I do.

On another note, was reading some UCS docs and they also support monitoring over SMASH-CLP and CIM-XML, a WBEM based protocol. Perhaps one if the existing WBEM sensors may provide some insight as well. I will test and report back.

Created on Jun 12, 2013 3:31:39 PM

Votes:

One Vote from me too - Cisco UCS Template highly appreciated.

As you already mentioned the MIBS delivered for the UCS are overwhelming - would be nice to have a template to Monitor for Hardware Failures.

Created on Jul 5, 2013 10:46:49 AM

Votes:

Your vote has been counted. (The more people requesting a feature, the higher its priority will be). Everybody who sends in SNMP walks, as described earlier in this post will help to fasten the progress, because more real data always helps detecting patterns.

The Cisco UCS sensors will be implemented, we can not give any information about "when" this will happen, though.

Created on Jul 5, 2013 11:11:33 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Jul 5, 2013 12:35:24 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Cisco UCS Template is also needed by us.

Created on Jul 15, 2013 9:21:29 AM

Votes:

Your vote has been counted.

Created on Jul 15, 2013 11:18:46 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Ok, I'm running the suggested snmpwalk from a linux command line as the tester keeps erroring out with a -2001 error. (or was it -2003, don't recall). It's been running for over 5 minutes and still going strong. I'm pretty sure my shell buffer isn't large enough to hold it all, but once I overcome all those problems I"ll mail it to the link provided.

Created on Jul 25, 2013 8:52:04 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

The -2003 error is a timeout when there is no response. This usually means, that the configuration is not correct (wrong host, snmp version, community or outgoing ip address) or there are network restrictions (like a firewall) that block the request or the answer. We'd actually really prefer the output format of the snmp tester, as we can import it directly into our simulator software, but we can handle the net-snmp walk output aswell, if you make sure the output contains the numerical oids and not the oids resolved by names.

If the shell buffer is a problem, we recommend to use the ">" operator to write the output directly to a file.

Created on Jul 26, 2013 9:08:34 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

The snmpwalk has been posted. I figured out the problem with the tester is that it simply did not have enough buffers to hold the volume of output from that walk. Who can blame it though, the walk produced over 935,000 lines of response.

No, that is not a typo.

Created on Jul 26, 2013 6:36:15 PM

Votes:

We've received your file. Thank you very much.

We did expect a lot of data, but honestly we did not expect this much!

Created on Jul 29, 2013 11:23:08 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

We also would like UCS/Sensor/Template

Created on Sep 13, 2013 8:41:42 AM

Votes:

We're at the moment working on it. It will probably still take quite some time, because the UCS systems do provide soooo much information, that we are still in the process of selecting "what is important" and how to display it. There can be huge differences between the systems and we're working on a concept how to display "enough but not too much information at a time" that will work for as many different ucs systems as possible.

Created on Sep 13, 2013 11:15:29 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

One Vote from me too - We have dozens of Cisco UCS devices.

Thank you.

Created on Sep 24, 2013 9:54:13 AM

Votes:

I would greatly apreciate this as well. Any ideas when it will be available?

Created on Oct 30, 2013 5:09:33 PM

Votes:

We've added two new SNMP based Cisco UCS sensors(for "System Health" and "Chassis") to software in the canary channel a few weeks ago. They will hopefully reach preview very soon and will then (with a little luck) be released before x-mas. Please do not understand this as a promise, but we try to make it happen and if nothing unexpected comes up the chances that we'll be able to stick to this plan are good.

Created on Oct 31, 2013 10:31:57 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Oct 31, 2013 10:32:51 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.