What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Access Violation in module rtutils.dll

Votes:

Hi. I am facing issues installing the PRTG in Windows 2008 R2 64-bit. During installation, there is this error:

Access Violation at address 72F71F74 in module 'rtutils.exe'. Write of address 72F71F74.

Although the installation finishes, the PRTG web site cannot be accessed.I have tried to restart the service, but this does not help either. I have also used the Console to connect, but it throws the "Page Not FoundEmail Support" error.

Any attempts to launch the PRTG Server Administrator will also throw the Access violation error, similar to the one faced during installation.

We are evaluation this for a commercial implementation, so I do sincere appreciate a quick feedback. Thank you very much!

access rtutils-dll violation

Created on May 16, 2013 10:17:31 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

This looks like something that may be missing or corrupt from the OS. Can you take a look at this article and see if replacing the DLL from the original CD fixes the issue.

Replace rtutils.dll

Once this is replaced, please remove all PRTG data and re-install.

PRTG Data Storage

Created on May 16, 2013 2:46:29 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the prompt respond.

I doubt there's anything wrong with rtutils.dll. Could it be that there are other processes which are holding or restricting it in any way?

Created on May 17, 2013 6:44:56 AM

Votes:

rtutils.exe is used by windows to collect diagnostic data for the RRAS service

rtutils.dll

I would try repairing the DLL and if that doesn't work, you can send us the logs and we can take a look at this install. Please send the info to [email protected]

Created on May 17, 2013 9:20:04 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.