What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Mikrotik Traffic Flow and netflow - PRTG9

Votes:

Hi,

I have implemented Netflow V9 on PRTG with Mikrotik Traffic Flow. It is sort of working, and hence the reason I am logging this.

At the moment, all my toplists are present and being updated in 15 minute intervals. Looks fine. However none of my live data or aggregated data ever displays in the sensor.

The PRTG sensor is the standard netflow v9 sensor.

Here are my settings from the Mikrotik:

[admin@KAB-RT02] > ip traffic-flow print enabled: yes interfaces: all cache-entries: 4k active-flow-timeout: 30m inactive-flow-timeout: 15s

[admin@KAB-RT02] > ip traffic-flow target print Flags: X - disabled

1. ADDRESS VERSION 0 x.x.x.x:1235 9

If anyone has managed to sort this one out, I'd love to hear about your solution.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

mikrotik netflow-v9 traffic-flow

Created on May 9, 2013 7:36:13 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

hello,

what is the active flow timeout set to on the device you receive the flows from?

Please change the active flow timeout in the sensor to 5min and check if you start to get data after a while.

Created on May 9, 2013 8:07:05 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Aurelio,

Thanks. You were spot on. I was just being impatient. My flow timeout was set to 30 minutes, so only after that allotted time did the data start appearing. Sorry for posting an unnecessarily.

If I change it to 5 minutes, would there be a performance impediment on PRTG or the router?

Created on May 10, 2013 6:57:17 AM

Votes:

Hello,

there should be no performance impact if you set the active timeout to 5min.

what is the active timeout set to on the device sending the flows?

Our recommendation is to set the timeout to 5min in the device and 6min in the sensor.

Created on May 10, 2013 11:04:02 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.